Sci-fi Technician

This is a project I have been working on and off over the past two months. I wanted to work on my low poly skills by creating a character that was as detailed enough for a modern game. The modelling/sculpting/re-topology/rigging was done in blender, textures were baked with xnormal(a free program which I highly recommend anyone who does any kind of baking to look in to), and textures were made with gimp. These renders were made with marmoset, which is a real-time engine designed for showing off game art. I used it because I wanted the renders to show exactly how the model looks in a modern engine, and unfortunately the bge doesn’t have SSAO or post effects yet. The model is 21436 tris.

Each main component (the man,the exoskeleton) has 3 main textures: normal(4096^2), diffuse(4096^2), and specular(2048^2).

Any comments, criticisms, and questions are welcome :eyebrowlift:.

This is really rather cool. Great normal mapping and texture work!

Also, the BGE can most certainly do SSAO, as well as a lot of other post-processing filters like bloom, depth of field, and chromatic aberration. Look in the Game Engine Resources section if you want to check it out.

@SolarLune Thanks for the feedback! Also, I am aware of the improvements being made to the bge, but I was unable to find a linux build that contained all the features I needed at a working state. Anyway, I really to look forward to when these features get brought into trunk.

Low Poly?..

@@CR8K
The model has 21436 tris, but that is average for characters in high end pc games now days

eh thats somewhat over the “low-poly average” for realtime but it’s still a decent model

@@CR8K
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975 Here is a page that lists the poly counts of a variety of game characters, and they range anywhere from a couple thousand up to 40,000 for some characters. 20,000 is the average amount for a character in new games targeted for pc or console. Characters for mobile devices still have lot less polys, but then again that is not what I developed this character for. Thanks for the feedback though!