Screen Space Global Illumination for Eevee

Hi,
@0451

Are there any builds of Blender 3.0.1?

1 Like

I havenā€™t tried yet. Will here shortly.

It is also NOT letting me use the normal bypass. Here is a link that spells out the code you can use in Terminal to bypass at a system level.

2 Likes

Interesting ! This trick worked !

2 Likes

Hey how is everything ?

does your Screen Space Global Illumination for Eevee cast shadow with HDRI lights like the lights in the addon below?

https://blendermarket.com/products/leomoon-premium-hdr-studio-lights

if yes , what is the process to activate the shadows ?

thank you so much

1 Like

I downloaded SSGI but I canā€™t find the tab to make it work.
what do i have to do to turn on SSGI?

thanks

1 Like

@cekuhnen @anon55679826
I looked a bit further into removing the code signing ā€œerrorā€ and Iā€™ve decided to drop it. Apple forces to have a paid developer account for removing that and it doesnā€™t sit right enough with me to want to personally support it (Especially with 3.2 not being that far off). Iā€™m open to reconsider it, should the workaround prove too much hassle. Feel free to let me know if thatā€™s the case. Currently Iā€™ll just add some instructions for the workaround on the downloadable file.

@serviteur
I think not. What platform do you need it on? Windows?

@NewVisitor
Can confirm. Seems to be affected by world diffuse lighting. Both setting the world strength to 0 and having a local irradiance grid baked ā€œfixā€ it. Since itā€™s an caused by an issue with shader to RGB and Iā€™ll start redoing that part next - Iā€™ll start to look into it. But Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s next weekend or later.

@digital0785
Sorry for the late response. Iā€™m not familiar enough with the volumetrics to have an decent guess about what could be the issue there. Looking at the commits around that time could potentially point to something, but itā€™s pretty hard without knowing what to look for - especially this late.

@Beeg
Options for enabling it are under Eevee render properties:

ā€œIntensityā€ under the diffuse subcategory being the main way to control it.

For some shadowing from HDRI lights:

Thereā€™s an experimental toggle under ā€œprobe tracingā€, but itā€™s not fully finished at the moment. It adds world HDRI lighting to the scene only when itā€™s not occluded by screen space geometry, so it generates soft, ambient occlusion like shadowing from world HDRI.

3 Likes

I understand - no worries. Just a future planing question. Do you consider the work you do to be part of Blender at one point or do you want to offer your own commercial build?

I am asking because like I said above SSGI is also used by commercial apps like TwinMotion for the preview for architecture renderings and later one can use if needed the pathtracer.

To compete and better promote Blender your tool would be a fantastic addition to what eeVee offers !

Both Linux and Windows.
Released on Jan 26th 2022, Blender 3.0.1 features many bug fixes.

Hi!
I noticed that thereā€™s a Blender 3.1 beta build for Mac M1, but not for Win?
I was wondering if you were planning on releasing one for Win too?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Apologies for late answers, got overwhelmed with other work.

@PavaOne @serviteur
Sure, Iā€™ll try to get it done in the few next days.

@cekuhnen
Iā€™m not a big fan of making commercial branches of Blender, since it still is mostly previous work done by Blender Foundation devs and other contributors. Although I understand some of those branches offer value that default Blender does not and sustainable development without funding isnā€™t viable. I considered removing SSGI from Gumroad after it was done as a Build of blender, but since it also functions as a trusted hosting platform and download is possible without paying I continued the use of it.

Iā€™m in favour of similar functionality in being part of the the official Blender, but the lack of pushing contributions comes more down to both wanting to do more experimental things that might not be a good fit for the official Blender and just the quality of implementations and code quality project like Blender needs to not end up as a mess. This is a learning project for me and there are better ways to do multiple things that Iā€™ve added. I just have to go with whatā€™s the easiest to implement for me due to limited time and no previous relevant background in the topic.

2 Likes

No worries at all - I am glad to hear that you would rather consider this at one point to be a contribution to Blender master !!!

More testsā€¦

8 Likes

And thisā€¦

9 Likes

3.0.1 is up on Drive. Planning to do Linux tomorrow.

Edit 1: 3.1 win Beta also on Drive.

Edit 2: No 3.0.1 build yet on Linux. Dealing with some Build errors again.

9 Likes

holy cowā€¦ 0 iterations and no denoising just changed my life for working with large scenesā€¦ thank you

Thank you! I noticed an update in the google drive! Will try it now! :pray:

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Hey guys just wanted to ask, is this the same as https://n0451.gumroad.com/l/PgyXc

I recently installed blender 3.01 windows (not 3.1 because some models I have cannot work there)
And i thought blender 3.0 was adding SSGI as the gumroad artist stated that and stopped updating

However 3.01 only has Screen space reflections, not SS raytracing, or SSGI
I turned it on and it doesnt actually do any indirect lightingā€¦
as well as has way fewer criterias you can adjust like the gumroad one.

So i was wondering whats the deal with that and is there a version of the gumroad one that works for 3.01?

Hi,

Itā€™s the same thing.

The official version has been delayed few times, currently it should be in 3.2 by the plans announced (Correction: it very likely wonā€™t be in 3.2 - I wasnā€™t fully up to date with the latest public communication from devs), but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if some functionality was delayed a bit. The development branch isnā€™t fully visible to public and Iā€™m not involved in any capacity, so itā€™s speculation on my end.

Iā€™ve been slowly updating it in the meantime with recent blender versions, but I currently donā€™t have enough free time to make any actual progress on features, besides doing some updated builds. Iā€™ve been wrong a few times when predicting when I get more free time - Iā€™d rather not accidentally lie again.

Gumroad has very restrictive size limits so Iā€™m not updating files directly Gumroad at the moment, but thereā€™s a link to a Drive folder on Gumroad (also posted here in the first post - open to ideas to make it more visible) that has the latest builds.

For Windows 3.01 this is the latest build on Drive:

(https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nIL-bGTHaKDeS2rBOxwDNACq6BhpASZh?usp=sharing)

9 Likes