Screencast Keys

The author of old Screencast Keys add-on topic does not support Screencast Keys, and the current developer could not edit the topic anymore. So, current deverloper launched new topic to discuss about Screencast Keys add-on

This is a blender add-on Screencast Keys to display the Keyboard/Mouse and Operation status.

Download / Installation

All released Screencast Keys add-on is available on Release Page.
If you want to try newest (unstable) version, you can download it from unstable version.

Installation process is a bit confusing.
See Document if you have any trouble to install this add-on.

Features

Screencast Keys supports English only.
The features of this add-on are as follows.

• Display Keyboard/Mouse status
  • Display Operation executed last time
  • Change area/region/window to display status

Tutorials

See Document to know the details of this add-on.

Change Log

See CHANGELOG.md

Bug report / Feature request / Disscussions

If you want to report bug, request features or discuss about this add-on, see ISSUES.md.

We provide the answers for the frequently asked questions.
See these answers before making bug reports

Contribution

If you want to contribute to this project, see CONTRIBUTING.md.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Version 3.8 is released now.
This release only fixes the bugs.

Has anyone managed to get this working on 3.4.1? Installed both the stable version through preferences, and also manually installed the unstable version (which seems to just report that it is also v.3.8) and there are no errors, but the addon doesn’t seem to be working…

Works for me on 3.3 LTS and 3.4, I haven’t tried the most recent 3.4.1 though

Just downloaded 3.4 to try and having no luck there either…

Okay, so I needed to enable it in the Sidebar…

EDIT:
Doesn’t seem to display all keys pressed though, eg, ‘S’, ‘X’ ‘10’ to scale 10x along X only shows the initial ‘S’ for scaling…

Did you enable Get Event Aggressively option?
If you want to display the key while model execution, you need to enable it.

1 Like

Version 3.9 is released now.
This release only fixes the bugs.

Notice

Due to the deprecation of the bgl module, it is becoming difficult to maintain the add-on for Blender 2.7x.
To reduce maintainance costs and code complexity, the next version (Version 3.10) will not support for Blender 2.7x.
So, this is a final release that supports Blender 2.7x.

Other Updates

• Fix bugs
2 Likes

Hmmm, still doesn’t seem to work for me.

Hello @Nutti

I used your add-on recently and noticed that Blender doesn’t autosave while screencast keys are enabled. Is this a known issue?
This problem might also be related to the Blender code directly, so I’m not sure where it could be fixed https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/77825

I use this add-on, auto-save works just fine for me :slight_smile:

hm, this is strange. My colleague lost two hours of work due to a crash (unrelated to this add-on). There was no auto-save and he used screencast keys today for the first time.
I did some testing myself, set auto-save to a 1 minute interval. No autosaves after using the addon. But right after I unchecked the box
Blender froze for a moment and there was a new autosave :person_shrugging:

I’m using the PowerSave add-on, which might make a difference, but I get auto-saves every two minutes on the clock. I’d recommend using PowerSave anyway, though, it adds versioning control to your files

1 Like

@robin.hohni

Did you check the FAQ?

Screencast Keys disables the built-in auto saving feature (This is a specification of the modal operator).
To handle this issue, Screencast Keys have a custom auto saving feature.
You can use auto saving feature by enabling this option.

I haven’t, thanks for the info!

Could you add it to the readme of the add-on so it is harder to miss?

And thanks for your work :slight_smile:

Version 3.10 is released now.

Notice

Dropped of Blender 2.7x support.

Other Updates

• Fix bugs

Version 3.11 is released now.

Other Updates

• Fix bugs

Version 3.12 is released now.

Other Updates

• Fix bugs
2 Likes

Hello, Is not working in v4.0.2

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\screencast_keys\ops.py”, line 1872, in modal
if key not in cls.timers:
File “C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\screencast_keys\ops.py”, line 1084, in find_redraw_regions

File “C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\screencast_keys\ops.py”, line 1046, in draw_area_rect
return (max(x, xmin),
File “C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\screencast_keys\ops.py”, line 760, in get_origin
if area.type == ‘VIEW_3D’:
File “C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\screencast_keys\ops.py”, line 1008, in draw_area_size
cls.DRAW_AREA_MARGIN_TOP + cls.DRAW_AREA_MARGIN_BOTTOM
TypeError: blf.size() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)