Screenshot Extra Extra!!!

(sbkodama) #2141

Sorry there is a misunderstanding here, my armor pieces aren’t parent for the moment and this is a complete model with character and all armor pieces in one object.
I talked about the way I modeled the armor pieces where I duplicated some vertices or faces of my already rigged and weight painted character to keep the right rig and weight paint directly when I begin to model pieces.

I don’t know if vertex group can be directly use on the fly in game. For parenting in game I mostly use copy/paste location and/or rotation in python, and for items (certainly for this armor pieces too) I always keep items parented to my character armature and use a replace mesh that render the item object model (visible) or a one vertice object model (invisible).

(luc.ki) #2142

hey thanks! its good to know that someone else likes my work :smiley: the thing in the up right is the building menu, when you select a unit, their building options appear there as icons, i havent figured out yet how to add the icons from external textures so they are just white planes

i havent worked during these days because of school, most part of the day on school and when i get home the last thing i want to do is sit to code haha
i forgot to say it before, but the game (the RTS above) is designed to be mod friendly, you make the model in a separate .blend, then you make a .txt with the unit stats(cost, speed, ammount of turrets, turret type,damage,units this unit can create,etc) then you modify another unit so it can create this new unit and then you run the game and voila! your new unit is in game, it takes me about 3~4 hours to fully make a unit, this includes model, texturing and making the unit stats, but if you already have some model with texture you can make a new unit in under 10 mins, however there is no support for animations yet.
thanks for reading
-lucki

(UnknownGuest) #2143

Why not just make icons in photoshop.

(BluePrintRandom) #2144

just do print screen and scale the icon down in GIMP, and then use the texture on a uv mapped plane,

(luc.ki) #2145

yeah, i know how to make icons, thanks, what i mean is that i want to import the images with a python code rather than manually putting them into the game, this would make the workflow of making new units a lot easier

(sdfgeoff) #2146

You can load images using the ffmpeg texture module. I’ll have to prepare a small demo. Here’s the code I used for it once:

import bge

def setUVImage(obj, img):
    try:
        del logic.texture
    except:
        '''Do Nothing'''
    mesh = obj.meshes[0]
    tex = mesh.getTextureName(0)
    url = bge.logic.expandPath(img)
    new_source = bge.texture.ImageFFmpeg(url)
    ID = bge.texture.materialID(obj, tex)
    object_texture = bge.texture.Texture(obj, ID)
    bge.logic.texture = object_texture
    bge.logic.texture.source = new_source
    bge.logic.texture.refresh(True)

This code looks a bit doubtful to me. I’ve no idea if it will work outside the rest of the infrastructure that the game had, but you can see a few relevant API calls in there, particularly the one for loading the texture. No idea why it’s writing to a variable ‘bge.logic.texture.’

This was used in DEEP Space for displaying icons for different level sets.

(BluePrintRandom) #2147

Thats handy info :smiley:

So you can grab a “savepoint image” etc.

(mindshockstudio) #2148

new screens of our first level, going to add some machine gun heli game play to get things started, still have to tweak allot and also put in some simple ai…

(luc.ki) #2149

thanks! i wil try it when i get some time, i havent tested it but i would change this line

for this one

url = bge.logic.expandPath("//")

anyway, thanks!

new screens of our first level, going to add some machine gun heli game play to get things started, still have to tweak allot and also put in some simple ai…

hey that looks good! is it for a FPS?
i really like the mist with the shadows, looks awesome!

(sdfgeoff) #2150

thanks! i wil try it when i get some time, i havent tested it but i would change this lineCode:
for this one
Code:
url = bge.logic.expandPath("//")
anyway, thanks!

Hmm, but the url is the path to the image you want to switch it to! So I don’t see how changing it to that would help anything!

(luc.ki) #2151

thats just for making the path to the image relative to the .blend, i tried the code today and it worked, i also added a string variable to change the image to wathever you want easily, heres my code

import bgefrom bge import logic

def setUVImage():
    cont = logic.getCurrentController()
    own = cont.owner
    try:
        del logic.texture
    except:
        '''Do Nothing'''
    mesh = own.meshes[0]
    tex = mesh.getTextureName(0)
    url = logic.expandPath("//")
    img = "newimagegoeshere.png"
    new_source = bge.texture.ImageFFmpeg(url + img)
    ID = bge.texture.materialID(own, tex)
    object_texture = bge.texture.Texture(own, ID)
    bge.logic.texture = object_texture
    bge.logic.texture.source = new_source
    bge.logic.texture.refresh(True)

thanks!
-lucki

(mindshockstudio) #2152

luc.ki: it’s for 3’rd person heli shooter :yes:

(luc.ki) #2153

cool! hope to see more coming!

just some random fun today
made it in 4~5 hours, from mouselook to IA

(carlo697) #2154

I am modelling a Police car(based on a chevrolet impala), why?! just for fun and to practice my modelling, this would be my car model number 4 and the first serious car model.

Just i need to make the interior(my nightmare…) and the model have right now 2656 faces. My goal is to have it less than 3000 faces!

(BluePrintRandom) #2155

(riidom) #2156

Carlo, very cool car, I do like to see lowpoly cars from time to time as well. Suggestion: Set the model to smooth shading and use an edgesplit modifier where you see fit (ctrl-E, mark sharp), you will improve the look quite a bit without adding any faces.

(mindshockstudio) #2157

trailer to our new game, enjoy :wink:

(sdfgeoff) #2158

Explosion goodness: (wait for it to load, and imagine it at 60FPS (may be better if you right click and download))

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17630723/Pictures/explosion.gif
No animated textures, (mostly) no sprites. It can be viewed from any angle, and because of it’s non-planar construction doesn’t look too bad when it intersects a wall/other object.
Only the sparks are sprites, and they are all a single object expanding. I’m hoping to replace them with something a little better at some point. (maybe only for bigger explosions?) I may also need to tweak their fade out.

I may make a tutorial on this at some point, because I’m really pleased with how it came out.

(BluePrintRandom) #2159

that looks amazing :smiley:

(mindshockstudio) #2160

nice sdfgeoff, everybody making nice explosions so I thought I’d update the explosions in my game WAHAHHAHA!!