Screw

Wanting to make gold braid for a uniform i chose screw in the mesh tools.
I put three circles with 15 verts each - less looked weird.
and joined it all.
notice that one looks different from the rest?
whether i put material on or not i get the same effect each time.
any ideas?
also. I put on a rope type picture but whichever way i rotate the picture in photoshop it just wont go in the direction of the grain!
and if anyone knows how i can bend this ‘rope’ made with screw that would be appreciated!

Attachments

Hi,

It looks like you’ve got some duplicate faces - those strange black things appear when Blender tries to render 2 things that are at exactly the same position. You’ve either got a duplicate object (in which case just delete one of them) or you’ve got duplicate vertices in the object itself - TAB into edit mode, F9 and Rem Doubles (remove doubles).

You may have uv map the texure. I’m sure you can find help on this site from people if you don’t know how to do it.

[quote=rawpigeon;737034]Hi,

“It looks like you’ve got some duplicate faces” -
you sure called that one right!
well that is one problem solved - 4000 verts deleted! Thanks.

now how do i smoothly bend it in an arc?

That is a mesh, right? Then use CurveDeform.

Add a curve - meaning a path or a bezier curve - at the center of your object - otherwise weird things will happen - select the object then shift - select the Curve, too, and hit Ctrl+P -> Curve Deform (nowadays you can do that with a modifier too…see the Curve Modifier). Then deform the curve and look how the changes affect the mesh, too.

Works like a charm if you get used to it and keep a few things in mind.

1. to get a smooth bending you obviously need many vertices…
  2. you need to work exactly…as said before, even wrong centering can lead to the most spectacular effects…
  3. you might need to adjust the Track axis in the Anim settings tab…
  4. banking (a twist in the curve) can screw you sometimes…from my experience banking especially occurs when working with paths, so you might want to work with beziers…

Hope this helps!

[quote=Myke;737243]That is a mesh, right? Then use CurveDeform.

Add a curve - meaning a path or a bezier curve - at the center of your object - otherwise weird things will happen - select the object then shift - select the Curve, too, and hit Ctrl+P -> Curve Deform (nowadays you can do that with a modifier too…see the Curve Modifier). Then deform the curve and look how the changes affect the mesh, too.
quote]
Thanks- that works great.
even afterwards when i change the curve- the mesh changes!

Sure, that’s what it is thought for - as long as you don’t apply the modifier you can change and deform the curve as often as you want to (and the mesh with it, obviously).