Script collection

Maby this exist but i think we should make a collection of blender pythonscripts? If it exists please post a link, if not, start making a list with posting links to the python scripts you know.

Happy blending!:smiley:

Bjørn
(I know my english is bad, sorry)

There have been a few but I see the problem with this is that the scripts vary a lot in their quality, and how well maintained they are… At some point we’ll add a script manager to blender thats a bit like a package manager.

There have been a few but I see the problem with this is that the scripts vary a lot in their quality, and how well maintained they are…

Ok, yes, i agree, but you seem to have a broader background to untangle this mess. Who else could that do? Seriously? Don’t swear on me, it wasn’t me, hehe:)

so why don’t we maker one here on this forumwhere we can have a kind of rating of each, good, bad, wery good, and so on…just post links and your opinion on how the script is and we will make a list over all of them sorted after wath they do and how good they are at doing it…k?

I think rating is a great idea but in order the make collect ion of script is a night mare at the moment.
I think naming system is definetely needed in script as well as on the blender and its support materials. Naming system would enable people to find thing quickly so less man hour is use to sort through. You know how time is lost in finding information inefficiently?? too many my friend.

As for script naming system we should included the information about what version of blender is compartible to the particular script.

Scriptname-version-stable-patch-blendercompartible version

Eg:

Beast-1-a*-0-V234-V273 where* a,b,c … = unstable 0=stable

And it would help if blender use this:
blender-version-release-patch eg: blender-242-a-0 where a,b,c … = unstable
when the stable is realeased blender-242-0-0,
while blender242a ~ blender-242-0-1! as it only an updated version and so on…
this can be apply to the script , materials, etc…

Especailly in script there are far too many incompartible version so by putting the information into the name itself user can tell at once whether the script is usable with their app- instantly! without has to read extra information.

Another thing to make scrpit useful is - there should be a single depositry and its mirror for hosting the script. From my own experience of HUNTTING down the dead link of useful script = flustratation!!!:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Another thing to make scrpit useful is - there should be a single depositry and its mirror for hosting the script. From my own experience of HUNTTING down the dead link of useful script = flustratation!!!:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thats why I wanted to get this done, do you mean we should make a website with a kind of search engine in it? that would probably be a good idea, but then we need serverspace and maby an url…after all i don’t know anythig about making websites I just know how to use frontpage 98 and a bit of HTML programming…so folks we need you to get this done, I can help collecting scripts. maby we should make an edition of blender with all the scripts we find useful in it to.

have you seen this http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts/Catalog yet?

it is a pretty good list of scripts that are out there!

J

thanks mate.
tougth maby something like that, but including a bit moer about how each of them work and wath they do would help, but thats a pretty good link you got there, just to start adding scripts that…

No probs… if you write any scripts, this link tells you how to submit to them.
J

OR (i went and looked for this!!) … speak to this fella >>>>> Meta-Androcto <<<<< who maintains the list :wink: He added Midi_Import_X for me :smiley:
J