Script Development Question

Hi all, I wasn’t sure if I should post this in Discussions or in the Python & Plugins forum since this isn’t a very specific Python question, but feel free to move this if necessary :slight_smile:

Right now I’m scheduling a fairly large personal project and currently I have my art production slated to begin loosely between mid-September and the beginning of October, right around/before the release of Blender 2.5. For some of what I’m doing I’m going to need to write some custom import/export scripts which can handle images, armatures, animation sequences, blah blah blah. In light of this, Blender 2.5 development, and the fact that I’ll probably use these scripts a lot in future projects, I’ve decided it’s probably for the best that I just directly develop the scripts for 2.5 instead of having to write it for 2.49 and then again for 2.5.

I’m wondering a few things though (I might add more to this list):

• Is this the right approach? Or should I just develop for the tried-and-true 2.49?
  • If I can’t accomplish what I need to yet in 2.5 (I don’t know if I can or not, I haven’t been following closely :o), what approximately would be a good timeframe to begin this type of Python scripting?

With regard to the second question, this is a personal project so my schedule is pretty flexible. One of my goals, though, is to finish this project before the end of the year. According to how I have my schedule set up, this means I have a total of about one month of free buffer time to distribute between everything that’s going to happen in my whole project. Since I’ll have school, etc and there will only be one or two people working on this, I’d like to use as little of this buffer as possible in case of emergencies, surprise projects, and other stuff.