Sculpt mode is alway slow

Blender’s Sculpt mode is alway slow, What the PC requirements ?..
Ive been using Sculptris and rendering in cycles

Thanks
Gary

Following up on Richard’s advice, I can add this: if you’ve been using Sculptris, you may want to try out dynamic topology, which is present in recent versions of Blender (e.g. 2.66 testbuild has it).

As for requirements, I cannot give you any specific numbers, but with multiresolution sculpting my machine (i3 2100 with 4Gb RAM) is able to handle maximum of 16M polygons. And by “able” I mean it’s not even lagging much, except for navigation (which is amendable by Fast Navigate option). I used to top out at 6M (because next subdivision would make it 24, and it just couldn’t handle that), but after a little investigation and playing with base mesh poly counts I found that anything up to 16M was totally fine. Not that I have a need to go any higher any time soon.

I’m going to write this here because there’s nowhere else to put it: I find that at high multires levels, despite the obvious lag, I can never max out the cpu when making brush strokes (all threads are used but at low levels). The strange thing is that I get about 70% cpu usage if I scale the brush way up to the size of the whole mesh, but only around 20% cpu usage with a really small brush (and yet it lags badly). I know it’s nothing to do with the GPU since I can rotate the viewport easily, and yes I always do the checklist of things for improving performance. So I’m wondering… is RAM speed important when making brush strokes? I have DDR3-1333. Could that be a bottleneck? Does anyone with faster RAM notice the same problem? Or could it something code related? :spin:
cpu: i7
ram: 8GB DDR3-1333
gpu: gts 250

Blender is not a good scupting application if you want speed when sculpting with high resolution model. Zbrush is A LOT quicker with the same system spec…