Sculpt Tools

@Piotr Adamowicz what about ppl like me, who are just getting the hang of sculpting and recently found out about this plugin? are we going to be left hanging?

I have so much questions about it, it’s a shame that not a small explanation/documentation exists other than a just couple of tuts that mentions it but don’t go to much in detail of it’s uses.

For example I’m using 2.72 and the Extract Mask function, only works without the multires modifier used in the stack, if I use it and then try to extract then it doesn’t work…is this how it should be? or is there something wrong? or am I doing it wrong?

Ahhh the frustrations and the sadness.

@tommy1441: mesh extract was originally created to work exclusively with dyntopo meshes and unmod-ed remesh meshes, as does the grease cutter, though the cutter can work with old school poly.

expect some short vids soon, well, if you know how to really apply this tool, its flipping awesome, i’m telling you. i have some full body sculpts to experiment on so i think i’ll get to making the vid on the few possible uses of the tool, tonight.

Thanks @iceking for your reply, will look forward for those vids. Still have plenty to learn and control better the tools in sculpt mode to tackle a proper sculting project.
At the moment I’m just playing around with the tools making random shapes and polishing the technique.

@tommy1441: well if you’re a sculpt noobie, bro. start with pokemons. no joke.

This is without doubt one of the best Sculpting addons i have found! please keep up development :smiley:

@ MadMinstrel
Created a pull request for a bugfix with 2.73 grease pencil behavior.
I found it at CGcookie forum and didn’t want it to get lost or not be merged to the plugin.

By the way, the changed from Kent Trammell aren’t in the plugin yet. I’m willing to do a pull request for the changes from Kent as well, if you like.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this powerful tool. I have one question about this tool.
I want to use Grease cut to cut a plane, but the result is strange.

Like this:

But if I apply Solidify modifier to add thickness to this plane (make it has volume), it works fine.
The plane will be cut into two meshes.

How can I solve this problem using this tool to cut a plane. Thanks.

Best regards,
Mew

Attachments

the tool doesnt really work with non manifold objects, you are probably better off using the knife project tool, except that uses a mesh object rather than a grease pencil but whatever. basically if you want to use the tool on a plane then you are already doing it the right way. use the solidify modifier, make the cuts then delete the solidify once you’re done.

@Small Troll, thank you for reply :slight_smile:

Hello,
What a great addon is it !
I have anyway some issue when I use remesh on another scene than basic one, can we fix it ?

Grease Kut - use to cut only Global Z direction in version 2.75.
Or did I to setup something?
Thank you for help.

(I tried different type of “Stroke Placement”, curve, angles of view, but always results with cut from top view.)

edit:
nevermind, everything works :wink:

[the grease cut button is grayed out for me in 2.75a.
is there anything i have to enable first to make it work?]

cheers christian

I get

line 111, in execute
bpy.data.scenes[0].objects.unlink(obCopy)
RuntimeError: Error: Object ‘Cube.004’ is not in this scene ‘01’

when I try to remesh a couple of objects that are in a scene other than the first one.

Can someone help me with this problem what you can see from image?

When I cut with “Grease Cut” it creates mesh but wont cut.

Ensure object normals are all pointing outwards.
Properties / Mesh Display panel can enable normals dispaly in edit moode
W / Flip Normals flips the normals of selected faces
Ctrl+N recalculates the normals of selected faces

Thanks! Looks like needed recalculate normals and it worked fine!

recalculating didn’t change the behavior for me, it doesn’t work like it once did. :frowning: (grease cut that is, haven’t tried anything else) Its definitely not as straight forward as i remember.

I understand its not a focused project and just something on the side, but any chances of seeing an update?

Either my mesh explodes like the user above, or it only makes a thin slice. It doesn’t take into account angle of view anymore either it seems. I change grease pencil to object too. hmmmm

cutting a polycard like a plane will have problems, give it some thickness before cutting. this is originally designed to be used with dyntopo hence a sculpt tool, if you have to cut polymeshes use booltool instead.

to avoid problems cutting with g-cut. enable the option in user pref where the cursor snaps to faces. click the surface where you will do the cutting and draw the line.

Hi everyone
First off, this is an absolutely awesome tool. I have only just discovered it, as im doing my first ever sculpt of the sci-fi helmet by kent. Keep up the awesome work !!!

will this ever become a art of the actual blender addon section, so we dont have to download it every time ?
or would it be better the way it is, because then you can check bugs and so on and make changes as needed ?

I also wanted to find out how that documentation was cumming along, because i defiantly know im not using the addon to its full potential.

Many people really thought you had dropped this, and know people did try to contact various people in the description. Regardless, that’s the past now. There is another addition that was also made after the fact, where users are forced to create GP strokes linked to the Object, and not the Scene. If it’s not, their is odd behavior with the GP cut. Maybe you have already addressed this.

Anyways, glad to know you are back, and I’ll be sure to let Kent and the CGC crew know so to fix links, etc. :wink:

Thanks for the pointing out the thread Jody! :smiley: