Sculpting / Adding details

Hey guys,

I decided to continue my journey with sculpting and I’d like to know what you think about my work so far.

My goal is to create a realistic portrait and add it to my portfolio. I’m going to add a skin texture, hair and clothing matching with my reference picture.

Previous topic: Sculpting feedback

Reference picture:

2 Likes

The front view is pretty good and looks close to realism. I think you are getting close.

However, the face seems to have too much depth when viewed from the side. By that I mean:

• The nose is very long.
  • The eyes are very deep in their sockets.
  • The eyebrows form massive ridges that extend very far from the face.
  • The cheekbones are very deep.

Maybe you should find a reference photo from the side. If you don’t have a side photo of the same person, even a photo of someone else will allow you to better evaluate the depth and length of each feature when viewed from the side.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

In this same vein, remember to consider your camera when sculpting a face and analyzing distortion. Use something like 50mm or higher for the focal length. I honestly prefer 70-85mm for portrait work in Blender.

3 Likes

I think this is looking really great!

How far are you wanting to take this through sculpting? Have you considered using textures (either procedural or scans or a combination) for the very high level details? For me, Blender gets super moody once I get to fine details like pores (for a full character at least), and never produces results that feel crisp and clean enough anyway. I don’t even think you have to push this that much further via manually sculpting if you were going to go the texturing route for super fine details.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your continuing progress! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@All: Thank you very much for your feedback
@anon69767362: I’m starting to learn use working with Texture Paint in Blender and Substance Painter by Adobe right now. Never used it before so I guess this will take a while.

Then I’d like to add hair in Blender, clothing and some lighting :slight_smile:

Current progress:

I’ve added even more fine details and asymmetry to my character

Right now I’m trying to fix a CRITICAL mistake I did. More information here: https://blenderartists.org/t/messed-retopology-multires-modifier/
Appericiate ANY KIND of help!

1 Like

Much improved and realistic than prior. Also for feedback, try posting a profile as well.
Huge for providing feedback

If anyone is interested this is my current progress

Screenshot 2023-08-15 165155

1 Like