Sculpting lag

I’m learning to sculpt in blender, but it lags when faces come to 1.5 million, is there anything I should adjust before start?

The machine is MacBook Pro, M1 Pro chip, 16G RAM.

Any help will be appreciated!

Might sound like a weird question, but what kind of lag is it? Is it skippy lag when you do brush strokes, or is there a hang up when you start a new stroke?

1.5mil isn’t that much honestly. Are you using Multires or Subsurf? You should be using the former.

It would be about half second hang up after I start a stroke.

Actually, I have tried multiple ways:

1. Multires without apply or after apply

2. Subsurf without apply or after apply

3. Voxel remesh

4. Dynatopo

Once it comes to 1.5 million, lag happens.

Something is wrong here…

For how long have you been using blender and in which version do you sculpt?

Can you open a new scene and add a uv sphere with a mutlires modifier on lvl 6 and sculpt. Maybe even make a quick video if you can.

1 Like

Also, do you have any other modifiers attached to your mesh?

Sorry bro, I’m new to blender, I just find the reason.

There was a simulator running behind when I using blender, now the faces increase to 4 million after turned simulator off.

Thanks for response :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry bro, I’m new to blender, I just find the reason.

There was a simulator running behind when I using blender, now the faces increase to 4 million after turned simulator off.

Thanks for response :slight_smile:

I’m a little bit curious about that how many faces can blender hold?

Depends on the system. I have not stretched out the dyntopo workflow but with multires the border of my system is lvl 7 which is around 30 to 40 mio verts (depends on the vert lvl of the base mesh) on a mesh. Since the next lvl would multiply the count by 4 its impossible to try out another lvl.

Dyntopo should go higher but only if it used with the detail flood fill function and after that disabling it. I dont sculpt with dyntopo currently since the system get an overhaul in the next few versions which will also improve the performance.

1 Like

I’m using 3.3, and I just tried 15 million faces, barely work, but I think this is enough for me now, thanks!

No worries, happens to us all. Yesterday I had a hidden check box ticked which was breaking everything. Took hours to figure it out :person_facepalming:

I’ll echo 3DArtGuy - ~30-40mil is ok for me on my machine. My PC is in floods of tears at that point, but it works…

Glad you got it fixed! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks gain :slight_smile:

1 Like