Sculpting with UVs and displacements.

Guys, I just can get the baking of normal maps to work correctly. I’m using the Bake Tool.

Any ideas why? Much appreciated…

Change the render subdivision level to match the view one. That should do it.

So obvious, thanks for help! I can’t believe I missed that one…
However, it seems that it still doesn’t look right - I think there should be more definition to it…

Aha! I have been working up to doing a similar thing to this thread, but with organic landscape forms, rather than greebles and mechanical textures. I have been using many normal maps too (as my computer slows incredibly using high poly scenes).

This is quite interesting, I will now have to browse this thread for all its secrets…

EDIT:As for the person with normal map questions, more information about what you are doing (3D views) could be helpful. I have had some issues with similar attempts, and sometimes relative position of the high/low poly meshes has great impacts on the normal map quality.

Thank you michalis. I was hoping to do that with Cycles and the Bake Tool, but old school will have to do :slight_smile:

The cycles bake tool will bake excellent Object space n maps. Keep subs to the maximum level (for rendering) and have displacement mod On. Supposing these models will be animated as a whole. I think, for hard surf object space nmaps may work better.

Anyone tried transparency? Can’t remember now.
A fast test, 3 subd cubes (spheres) one inside the other.
You can use custom transparent maps of course.
Here, just using the displacement map controlled by a coloramp as transparent map.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24090090/transparentTest.jpg

Hi! I’m beginner in Blender, and tried to use this technic, but something went wrong. But I still like it :slight_smile: I wasn’t able to use self-baked exr, it made some areas infinitely “high”.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=81589

Gleb thats awesome.

Can’t stop :slight_smile:

HaHa, this method makes you addicted.:yes:
Its so fast and you dont even have to model.
Keep posting, I`d like to see where you going.
Cheers

@Gleb
There is a con on this method.
It easily produces more or less random and predictable results.
Yours are very unique though.
Great. Keep posting.

Thank you, @michalis. Used this method to add a cap to a bottle from my “bottles collection”:

Full image in my scetchbook, plan to build a nice still life with it.

Hello,
I try to get an overview in this thread, very long but very interesting stuff…
That’s just the best technic for modeling lots of details structure parts.
I notice on BI rendering that it have a point to the Color Space to do for
keep with Geometry Normal detail from image with Non-Color position.

I would like to know why is it necessary to use 32 bits IMG ?
Is the Displace modifier use it !

Thank’s, i try to make some with BI.

I would like to know why is it necessary to use 32 bits IMG ?

A B&W 8 bit image will produce a scaled ugly effect (0-255 shades are not enough)
A B&W 16 bit image, or better a 32bit image is all you need.
HDR, tiff formats mostly. JPG produces nasty effects, strongly recommend to avoid it.

This is also valid when using the textures as bump maps in cycles:

(Lighting by an environment map and a single sun)

Caution: Cycles GPU can’t handle more than 5 individual float images per scene.

Did another experiment using a mesh sculpted from sculptgl then imported in blender resculpet it again, playing with UV, and Freestyle.

Attachments

First steps with the new Geometry - Pointiness output.
No AO texture used, which would still be necessary for the bump only parts.

Amazing tests!
@sir richfield
he he, good one.
Yeah, this new feature supports (better say, it loves) multires/subsurf.
Pointiness can be baked on UV maps as well.

Here, from a small tutorial for zbrush users.
Yeah, bumpmaps and AOmaps in cycles, UV unwrapping in blender. The rest in ZBrush+BPR z render. The new Zmodeler is impressive at least. This uses the new patricles system of Zbrush. (Nanomesh)
Just trying to bring some users closer to blender…
for the records, it costs ~ 80k polys only, mostly bumps + AO
All these, all these particles tricks, can be done in blender with much better results. Yeah, right.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24090090/Nano_bump_AO.jpg

that’s amazing

it’s since this one is born i tried to adapt on this technique, you were quicker :-p
i look at this http://durknfred.blogspot.ch/2015/02/new-cycles-pointiness-attribute.html how that work, but not sure about the method, but i tried something
clic for full sizes
my node tree