SculpTkt - a toolkit for sculptors

Shadowbox would be nice, but to me the earlier mentioned wishes have priority. Thanks.

I do agree with Metin, I do think that the flexible armature idea and a bezier like editable slash option for precise cuts should be a priority.

Also, a ‘polishing’ command would be good to have. A command that would smooth lightly the object without having a loss in its overall shape. There is such a command in Zbrush but I do not remember now how exactly is its name. I do not know how such a thing could be programmed but as an idea it is easy to grasp.

Another difficulty that the user meets when sculpting is polishing the non edgy areas without loosing the creases on the object. So something as an edgy areas masking feature too could be of significant importance. Such a masking when inverted it can be used for a good beveling on the edges too.

I do know nothing from programming so I do not have the faintest idea as to the how difficult is to program such tools. Just sharing ideas. :smiley:

1 Like

The smoothing, would require a custom algorithm, I’m sure its not hard to implement but my main concern is speed. A sculpt mesh can get to millions of polys very easily, coding a custom smoothing loop in python that iterates all the polys reasonably fast is going to be tricky.

As for the flexible armature, I’m trying to figure out how to handle it in the interface and support symmetry, I still don’t know if I should use the new gizmos or have a modal operator.

Hey, that’s a great idea! sorta like a “mask flood fill”

1 Like

Happy that you liked it! It could be a great tool indeed. :smiley:

It’s called Polish. :wink: It’s one of my most-used functions in ZBrush.

There’s also a ClayPolish function, which smooths areas but leaves pronounced parts like creases and pointy parts intact, or actually it emphasizes creases.

1 Like

‘There’s also a ClayPolish function, which smooths areas but leaves pronounced parts like creases and pointy parts intact, or actually it emphasizes creases.’

It is such a thing that is needed very much in the sculpt module of Blender. It is a very usual need which the user meets when sculpting. He needs to polish the non pointy areas without disturbing the pointy ones (which he has build them with much care). And there he meets many difficulties… he becomes obliged to reshape many times shapes that has already worked on with much labor. Something that makes things very tedious.

Also, an inverted mask as to the creased-pointy areas (with controllable thickness in the creased-pointy areas) can be a very good tool for producing orderly beveled areas on creases. A simple flatten brush work on the unmasked areas would do the work very efficiently. In such a case the only need would be having ready the ‘path’ to be flattened.

The sculpt module has a general need for means which can help achieving shapes with strict orderliness (nicely polished areas, strict shaped edges etc… things indispensable, especially in hard surface sculpting cases). So I do think that having this point in mind can be a good guide for developers of add-ons as the one of our friend Jeacom here.

1 Like

Hi @Jeacom,

Do you think you could create a tool like Remesh By Union from ZBrush, and add it to Sculpt Toolkit? I would be extremely happy with such a function.

The most important info about Remesh By Union is located in the second half of the video by the way. The first half mainly demonstrates the regular Boolean functions.

Basically, Remesh By Union performs a Boolean Union on all self-intersecting parts of a mesh, so no parts of the mesh are hidden beneath the surface.

Many thanks in advance.

2 Likes

This is hard. Blender don’t have a much advanced boolean system for it, I guess its doable but would need to use a external boolean library or do some freaky hacks with bmesh to get it kinda of working on blender.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

That’s a pity. :neutral_face: There’s a Blender dev working on Boolean improvement at the moment, but I don’t know if that will make a Boolean self-intersections possible. I’ll ask him about this.

I’m adding some new tools.

One is a improved smooting, idea by @Metin_Seven , I coudn’t get a algorithm to run fast enough so I did a crazy combination of modifiers that does almost the same.

I also figured how to make spline Cuts.

2 Likes

Nice! :ok_hand: Looking forward to try the new features.

Did you happen to use the Smooth Corrective modifier in your modifier setup? If you set it to ‘Only Smooth’ and ‘Length Weight’ it’s got a slightly more sophisticated type of smoothing compared to the regular Smooth modifier, preserving more detail.

Yes, I used a crazy sequence of normal smooth, swrinkwrap and smooth corrective.

1 Like

It took a while to figure out how to do it but now the mask extract is sort of anti-aliased:

4 Likes

Wow, looking good! :+1: Will you be able to set the smoothing amount?

Will the new smoothing also be included in the Voxel Remesh options dialog? Maybe with a slight bit of smoothing set as the default? That’d be welcome.

Yes, just like other properties in the mask extract.

I don’t know if its necessary, I guess it gives more control to have them separate but I’m still going to make some tests to see what’s better.

1 Like

I’d personally welcome an smoothing option in the Voxel Remesh settings. It’d be great if the dialog would remember the value you set the first time, so you can choose to set a very subtle amount of smoothing for every remesh.

By the way, do you use OpenVDB for Voxel Remesh? I’m curious because I did a test trying both your Voxel Remesh and the new Remesh function in Blender 2.81, and your remesher gave a slightly better result, but was reasonably similar topology-wise.

No it uses the normal Remesh modifier as main remesher but It does some post-processing on the topology to remove some redundant topology knots.

1 Like

Interesting. This means that in its current state, the new OpenVDB Remesher isn’t better than your modified version of the old Remesh algorithm. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe but OpenVDB still does an amazing job with self intersecting geometry, which remesh modifier is very poor at.

2 Likes