SDF Procedural Textures - upcoming cycles feature (hopefully)

Thanks for feedback. I’m still updating the patch albeit slowly!

It looks really good so far - looking forward to this making it into master. Great work.

1 Like

"Yes! Master ",
I really hope it comes in, since this truly is an amazing tech…
I believe in you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is there anything in that SDF toolkit to make better procedural fractures? The voronoi noise creates variable separation width between cells which makes lines variably blurry and size of cells is also too variable. I want to get more consistent look.

The new SDF nodes do work with existing procedural textures - but whether they can be used to do what you are asking i’m not sure.

These are brand new nodes and as with any new Cycles node, the full capabilities and what weird and wonderful new materials they can be used to make is still unknown.

The best thing to do is download a build that incorporates them and start playing as at present there is very little information or documentation to go on (its one of the reasons I started this thread).

1 Like

Hi Charlie

Are the SDF nodes going to make it into 3.0 or are they still to far away?

They still need some work but I’ve been busy on GN. Basically, tidying, removing the vector ops to a separate patch and possibly porting to GN too. Then it will need a code review to determine what happens. I’m part time on Blender so that’s also why it takes a while.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

will this ever be updated? I am unable to find the build anymore on blender.org, due to them no longer showing all archived builds for whatever reason

I have asked Charlie - he’s been busy with geometry nodes, but said he’ll look at doing a new build at some point.

1 Like

I do have a zip copy of the original D6464 build - I have uploaded it to google drive. Let me know if you have trouble accessing the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VIIiDa8GgjWSw-rhhKPQlSOqb3aEP7Ul/view?usp=sharing

Hey Charlie. Any update on this or are you still busy with geo nodes? :sunglasses:

2 Likes