Sdfgeoff's node shaders and other experiments

@sdfgeoff, make sure to use my fresneled version:D

If you have a game window of, let’s say, 1280x720, and you make the capsize to be, for example, 2048, than it’s gone result in ‘oil looking’ rainbow colored broken texture. It’s because the 2048 > 1280. So the capsize must be smaller than the window’s longest edge size.

Really really large terrain generated in real-time from a height map.
Currently the height-map is 200x200, and thus equivalent to 40,000 polies. However there is no reason it couldn’t be 1024x1024 and equivalent to over a million polies, or 2048x2048 and equivalent to 4 million.

It I can be bothered, I’ll add in sub-heightmap details: you specify parts of the map as ‘rocky’ and it will add rock-like terrain, or ‘forest’ and it will add trees.
On my machine it’s 60FPS, but I suspect on other’s machines it will be significantly less.

On a side note: reinstincing the physics mesh is processor heavy, and doesn’t work very well in this case.

Terrain.zip (126 KB)

The .blend is 60 FPS. Looks incredibly well:)

The framerate drops significantly when i move the player.The framerate goes to 10 but goes back to 60.

@lostscience:
Yeah, it only recalculates the terrain when you need it, ie: when you move. So Ok, it’s too performance heavy to be useful.

It seems that it’s CPU dependant. For me it’s running so smooth.

I’ve got another file to throw up here:

It uses the water from earlier in this thread, a sand shader I developed, and the hover-car from my BGMC19 entry (with some tweaked flight mechanics). The skybox is made by Roel z’n Boel and is used under CC-BY-SA-3.0
Download

Attachments

It looks good but i get a framerate of 20 on land and a framerate of 60.Flying into the sun for a while.And i see the seams of the terrain.

I get a good frame rate, but yes, there are seams.
I usually use the GIMP for making textures seamless.

Yeah the terrain texture has seams. Gimp’s erode and dilate plugin doesn’t wrap around the edges. I’ll have to touch up that texture manually sometimes soon.

@lostscience:
I’ll see if I can reduce the polycount on the land a little more

I will wait patiently till your done.

@Lostscience:
While I did manage to reduce the polycount, the impact on performance was not noticable. Lots of the performance drop comes from the sand and water materials. I’ll have another look over the blend in a day or so and see if I can optimize those.

Polygonal Island:

Made in under half an hour with excessive use of the decimate modifier.
Blend:
Polygonal Mountains.blend (1.25 MB)

Attachments

The island is great with smooth shading on.I get a framerate of 60.

When working with gimp in the past I scaled the image up then tiled the texture 3x3. I did the modifications then cropped out the center tile. That gives nice tilable textures.

@smoking_mirror
Sounds like a better way to do it than what I planned. Thanks for that advices

Fire. No particles, just multi-layered texture sampling and UV scroll:
/uploads/default/original/4X/1/a/f/1afad88215bbda83c31f834a236b98c27f29ac52.jpgstc=1
Blend, as per normal:
Flame.blend (568 KB)

It’s quite mesmerising to watch actually.

Attachments

You can get some pretty awesome smoke too using similar effects.
I used it for a title screen (that didn’t get used).

I like how you used the vertex colors. That’s a good optimization.
I can never seem to get vertex colors to work outside of nodes though.

After reading another simonschreibt blog post, I wanted to have a go as well. So I did:
GLSLShader.blend (288 KB)

I could have done it the way I did the recent BGMC: lots of objects and moving/scaling them in python. But I decided to branch out a little, and use some of the tricks mentioned in the article. So this is my third GLSL shader ever.
Great fun, though very frustrating to try and learn.

“Echolocation” was the inspiration

Currently it only supports a single source, though I have thought of a change that would make it not need the light node (using the diffuse channel of the material), and hence be a bit more flexible in use.

Blend:
Cave.blend (673 KB)

Controls are “W” for forwards and mouse-click to let out a “ping”

cool! perfect for visualizing sounds :smiley: