Seagulls meeting

Hi everyone!
Just want to share with you my latest artwork.
Making shore always has been sounding challenging to me so this time I decided to go over my fears. I’m not entirely satisfied with it but I have to move on this time.

Feel free to visit my Artstation page if you’re interested to see my other works.

Have a great day!

Thumbnail

114 Likes

Have to say this looks fantastic. Was this all done in Blender, rendered in Cycles? How many samples did you render at and did you opt not to use denoising? Did you use the Ocean modifier? How many Tris are in the scene? It’s so detailed.

Really like the birds flying around. It’s magical.

I expected something like Pixar cartoon seagulls having a meeting on the beach… It’s so funny, I’ve been talking a lot about seagulls lately.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you very much for your feedback, it’s very encouraging :slight_smile: !

Indeed that’s a lot of questions that I should have answered in the original post (I think I will edit the post later for this).

All done in Blender : I can say yes, 99% in Blender, I only did some very slight color corrections in Photoshop.
How many samples : A lot! The water uses a volume absorption shader which causes a lot of noise so I needed 3000 samples to be satisfied with how it looks. No denoiser because it appear that my graphic card does not support it (it makes Blender crash) but I should have been able to use it because I decided to go for a cloud rendering solution. Actually I won credits on fox renderfarm so this was a great opportunity to try it, no?
Did I use the ocean modifier : yes to create the main shape of the water, then I used two perlin noise in a bump node to add choppiness to the waves.
How many tris : I have absolutely no idea but there’s a lot! The rocks are initially a simple plane (4 vertices) with a 10 subdiv multires that I sculpted. Each time I do a project, I tend to try something new and this time I wanted to be more relaxed about optimization.

Maybe I had the seagulls scene from Nemo as an unconscious background inspiration during the making of this scene :laughing:

3 Likes

Damned impressive, both viewpoint & detail. From Navy/Coast Guard experience, the overhead perspective is authentic. We have lots of lighthouses around here, hordes of gulls…this fits right in. Compares in charm to the Nemo scenes, too. Do more.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your feedback! This is very nice of you!

I featured you on BlenderNation, merry Christmas!

Thank you very much Bart! Merry christmas and happy new year!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Great work! You feel even the sea breeze in the air. Congratulations! And wishes for a happy new year, of course! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great render and detail. What I love most is that this is more than great modelling and texture. It tells a little bit of a story. You included the walkway and boat dock which is crucial in making this feel real. You could have thrown the lighthouse on the rocks and called it good… but thinking about “how would a person actually get here?” is a crucial step in making your renders feel “right.”

Great work!

3 Likes

This is a great work! 10/10

1 Like

All of the smaller details to really make this stand out is there, with even the contrast and the angle appearing like it was done with care.

Great work, I can’t see anything that works against the image.

1 Like

Thank you very much Bart! That’s a pleasure :slight_smile:

Thank you for this kind comment :slight_smile:
Indeed I got some inspiration from this artwork which gave me great references to model the lighthouse. It has a much better stroytelling than mine :wink:

@Fatesailor Thank you very much! ‘Bonne année’ to all of you!

@MarcelDeneuve Thanks! :slight_smile:

@Ace_Dragon Thank you! Actually I need to progress on that because I spend too much time into details that are smaller than 2 pixels :grin:

1 Like

This all looks incredible, only tiny thing I would say about this is there should always be more foam. Like in realistic terms, about 1 and a half meters of foam from standing in front of it. And theres always more foam than water in the 1 and a half meters.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
I completely agree with you, I think this is why I not completely satisfied with this artwork. I’m currently working to improve my foam techniques. I actually went to the sea to get foam pictures that can be used as brushes :slight_smile:

Thanks for agreeing with me, I think it’s really smart that you find you’re own textures. I like the artwork a lot.

This is very beautiful! Just looking at it made me feel like I’m on vacation. :slight_smile:

Great idea and great execution - the colors in the water are fantastic and I really like the concept a lot!

This is very nice.

Thank you very much @thomassturm and @RGB3D! This is heartwarming :slight_smile: