Searching for 3D Modeling tutorials

Hi. I have been searching for 3D modeling tutorials. But not the standard tutorial on the UI and the tools in Blender. What I am having a somewhat harder time finding is more general 3D modeling tutorials about topology and workflows that are generally accepted such as the ones over on Topologyguides.com. Any more literature on topology and workflows are very much appreciated. In particular, I have been looking for literature on how many vertices or polys are usually accepted to pass as low-mid or hi-poly for a model as well as any more guides on fixing topology, when is it OK to use tris and n-gons (in reference to the artists that swear to quads and shy away from tris as if it were the plague). And good boolean workflows to “weld/attach” objects together and clean up the topology after the weld.

So, a lot of that is quite specific, and I often find that tutorials are nearly never as specific as you want them to be, more so when learning. So try and break down what you wish to learn into sub categories, and find videos and tutorials based around them instead.

So in terms of poly count - context is key. Are you wanting to make game assets? If so, try to watch more general videos about creating game assets. You don’t even have to limit yourself to Blender just to pick up information, though there’s a whole bunch of low poly blender vids about. The terms high and low poly have changes drastically over time aswell. Not that long ago, low poly would have meant less than 1000 tris, but now those values are generally much higher.

Same applies for Tris and Ngons really too. Context is key. Generally, game assets often use tries, but that’s generally done after the fact.

Ngons - in my opinion - are rarely necessary.

In regards to Booleans, this guy has tons of vids on booleans, and is somewhat of a Boolean Wizard:

You’ll pick up most of what you know, not necessarily by following tutorials, but by trial and error, and observation. Looks at things others have made, videos, artwork etc…And try and learn as much as you can.

Also, don’t get caught up on topology too much. Though it can be, and is important, you can also get stuck trying to create the perfect topology, when the truth is, it doesn’t exist. Trial and error is once again your best friend here. Observe what others have done, and learn from it. A lot of videos you’re going to watch will include information about topology, they just might not go into extreme details.

1 Like