Security of copying, exporting files. (Discuss)

I disagree, because you can be a freelancer, a freelance artist who also values safety.

What i saidā€¦ knowlege in different areasā€¦

I guess you have to learn < irony on > a little bit more < irony off /> about thisā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Edit: dummy meā€¦ irony

1 Like

I thought this discusion is about the problems in a ā€œbigā€ house studioā€¦

But as a freelancer you donā€™t share your own assets filesā€¦computer with othersā€¦ expect using them in your final product / workā€¦ then of course someone can ā€œcut them outā€ ā€¦ but this applies to alsmost ever digital workā€¦ :person_shrugging:

Digital work can be ā€œhijackedā€ā€¦

ā€¦so why is this worth a discussion in the first placeā€¦

Itā€™s not a Blender issue nor should it be.

As a freelancer I value security but I have zero interest in greater security at the file level. And Iā€™ve worked with proprietary information for several decades, and with some extremely paranoid clients.

I can secure my own system ever so much easier than a large company because I donā€™t share my local files with anyone else, nobody has access at all ā€“ at times the system on which I kept files for certain clients was isolated; they did not permit keeping their software on a machine connected to the internet. If anything needs sharing, I share with a client directly, on their system, and itā€™s up to them to secure those files.

And they donā€™t do that at the file level either, they control their environment and access to it.

2 Likes

Whenever people can open files, there is no way to control what they are doing with it. Any open file had to be decrypted. So if in your system, someone did not have the rights to edit the file, they could simply copy the content into another file and save it. Even easier, in Blender you can access everything with scriptsā€¦

2 Likes

Youā€™ve really nailed the essence of the problem- eventually, no matter what guardrails you put up, there has to be an unencrypted file. Itā€™s why NFTs donā€™t work; you can claim exclusive ownership of an image all you want, but you canā€™t stop people from screenshotting it. Where a good security protocol kicks in is after that point, not before.

Even a fully locked down system where you can only access File A on a computer with no internet access, with an admin password, and two other personnel in the room with youā€¦ nothing is stopping someone from going in and taking a picture of the computer screen on a secret camera. Thereā€™s no way to preserve any given piece of informationā€™s security and also distribute that information in any way. Your options are to: not distribute the information (which means not writing it down in any way and never speaking of it to anyone), or to discourage unauthorized distribution through negative motivation (getting fired, tortured, or killed, generally, and none of those are foolproof either)

1 Like

They (not naming them because of special keywork :wink: ) ā€œworkā€ in this way that someone can prove that this one Suzanne is owned by someoneā€¦ and nowā€¦ so what ?? Itā€™s the " believe " that this special Suzanne is unique, one-time, singular what makes people to pay for even different versions of apesā€¦ And believers donā€™t thinkā€¦

So back to the topic:

ā€¦to secure your (copy / trade) rights to any special data, asset, utility model you have to register this in any form worldwide as an act of juristic something, patent, registered trademarksā€¦ and check for yourself if it is stolenā€¦ by having a complete juristic departement to enforce you rightsā€¦

Good luck.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what you propose really solves the problems you mentioned.

For the case of protecting scientific or military data, that goes much beyond only securing 3D files, and itā€™s a job on its own. Iā€™m not convinced that blender foundation can get a state of the art encryption system for such a niche. It would be interesting to see if Catia has such a system and to less extend if 3ds or Maya have something like that.

For the Star Wars example, yes itā€™s possible to do small modifications and sell them, but in practice that wonā€™t append. Unless you have a good example of that on say turbosquid ?
If you managed to get a job and work on big projects you donā€™t want to ruin your career by taking silly risks like that.

And for the last example, yes when selling 3D models you canā€™t keep track of what people do with it and if they sell it back or give it for free. But data encryption wonā€™t help there. Since itā€™s possible to disable that.
I think you need to account for that in your business plan if you sell 3D models , tutorials , addons, part of it will be pirated without you noticing it. Even if you knew, you might not have the resources to sue people stealing your work ?

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, 9 hour limit worked

Yes, I think this answer is suitable for the company.

And what about your own artists, to whom this may be important?

Letā€™s say the loss of a laptop, ShDD and the like.

Although ā€¦ Yes, there are also tools for this, encrypted folders, archives, etc.

You are right, every personal security is a personal security.

If its their own personal work, then they can secure/do whatever they want with it and decide how and where to publish any of it.

If they are employed by a company or doing contract/freelance work for a company, then any files/assets belong to said company anyway. So once directly delivered to said company, its now up to them to secure/decide what to do with said files.

ANY laptop with even remotely or sensitive or personal information should just be secured and encrypted by default. Windows bitlocker is very hard to break, in fact Iā€™m not sure it has been, so as long as the user name/password isnā€™t written on a post-it-note inside the laptop bag or said password isnā€™t ā€˜passwordā€™ or ā€˜123456ā€™ then any data should be all secure.

The main reason for doing it all this way, is in many ways to avoid having to have each and every app implement itā€™s own security or encryption. Rather then re-inventing 100 wheels per application, just make one and apply it to the whole, ie at the system level.

Besides, even if encrypt the blender file, what about all the support files? Phtoshop, Krita, Zbrush, each and every image file (PNG, EXR, JPG, HDR). If its an animation, then possible audio, video editor files, final video output file, the nightmare could go on and on if managed at application/file format level.

Hence the reason why, if needed, security/encryption would be implemented at the system/infrastructure level.

3 Likes

Encrypting filesystemsā€¦

1 Like

It seems that we discussed most of the points, I think this will be enough for understanding.