Seeking Critiques on 100% Procedurally Textured Eye

A gif is an excellent idea, though I don’t have the time to render an animation at the moment among making small adjustments.

Here are some Evee and Cycles shots in harsher lighting that show off the veins… then I’ll post one in the previous lighting to see if you think I addressed your concern with the contrast.

Keep in mind, all of these textures are procedural and adjustable on-the-fly… even the visibility, variance, and color of everything… individually. There are ‘Quick Controls’ that make the most common of adjustments very accessible to those not comfortable with the node editor.

Evee

Cycles

HDRI: Studio Small 07 by Greg Zaal from HDRI Haven

So, for the contrast issue… i still wasn’t quite sure which area you were talking about, but assumed it was the harsh shadow of the sclera coming over the iris. I softened that a little by expanding and softening that gradient transition. Does this look better?

HDRI: Cayley Interior by Greg Zaal from HDRI Haven

Thank you for any further guidance!

2 Likes

Please see my reply in the main thread… apparently i replied to myself =/

Please see my latest post and decide if I addressed any of the concerns you raised.
The veins are more or less visible depending on the lighting, but I did bring them forward a bit and rendered in harsher lighting for visibility.

Each layer is fully adjustable to achieve each person’s individual preference.

Thanks!

Found it! Good job! Which texture did you end up using for the Iris strands?

and here’s one with less contrast/bump in the iris itself.

1 Like

Here is the link where I post all sorts of ideas.

1 Like

a combination of radial gradient map with a ping pong color ramp used as vector input for noise and Voronoi.
i had to reopen my file because i’ve forgotten it. hopefuly i comment each parts in the shader by zone.

I love that welding effect you demonstrated!

There’s some masterful node work going on here… I don’t even recognize how to do some of it.

Like this… how did you make this little split?

And I didn’t even know this was an option in the Voronoi texture

N-Sphere Radial? I’mma have to look now.

Shift drag with RMB over a link (when using old blender right select config, must be inverted for new layout)

1 Like

i think a mix between your iris method ansd my own could provide great variations.

1 Like

I implemented some of your technique for variation, and also made the veins more prominent.
Let me know what you think, please.

HDRI: Cayley Interior by Greg Zaal at HDRI Haven

HDRI: Cayley Interior by Greg Zaal at HDRI Haven

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, nice progress you’re doing, but I think that the blue iris was more realistic before than it’s know. (hard to say irl, because every iris is unique) and I also think that the iris hasn’t changed.
But just one question, the right side of the iris (the black shadow or sth) looks real nice, but on the left side the shadow is more subtle. Is it the way you meant it?

Really great, tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

olive is the funny one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and compliment, cergina!

Good thing I’m saving the iterations =)
I agree it looked better before… at least the iris, which I changed only slighly. There’s more randomness to the first layer (the yellow) as it extends further in random spots (using a noise texture mask). There’s also very subtle hue differences in the blue area also created using a noise texture driving a color ramp.

But, I’m with you… the iris looked better before.

For the shadow, it’s just this lighiting and angle of lighting… but I could probably work to make it softer.
Take this real photo for example… the shadow is harsher on the side from which light is being received

source: https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2020/04/pink-eye.php

I’ll keep working on it =)

Thanks again!

1 Like

How’s this?
Different lighting. The old iris you liked, and slight adjustments to make the shadow over the iris softer.

HDRI: Leadenhall Market by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

Eevee real-time render

Cycles render

HDRI: Quattro Canti by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

Evee real-tim render

Cycles render

HDRI: Leadenhall Market by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

1 Like

I think one thing to note is that your dark streaks seem to be a little too dark for the color of the eye - they’re almost as dark as the pupil. I think if you blend those dark streaks a little better, and match them to the color of the eye a little more, it’s going to look a lot more naturall. You could probably set it to some kind of layer blending, like multiply, dodge or color burn (experiment - see what works) which should also allow for easier control of the general eye color.

Some really good work here though!

1 Like

perhaps you could hide the background with a mix shader and the is camera ray tricks to better focusing on the eyeball?

1 Like

Yes, you’re absolutely right… I need to find a way to retain the detail of the iris layers but also allow the color from the bottom layer to show through without the harsh shadow.

Thanks!