Seeking Critiques on 100% Procedurally Textured Eye

a combination of radial gradient map with a ping pong color ramp used as vector input for noise and Voronoi.
i had to reopen my file because i’ve forgotten it. hopefuly i comment each parts in the shader by zone.

I love that welding effect you demonstrated!

There’s some masterful node work going on here… I don’t even recognize how to do some of it.

Like this… how did you make this little split?

And I didn’t even know this was an option in the Voronoi texture

N-Sphere Radial? I’mma have to look now.

Shift drag with RMB over a link (when using old blender right select config, must be inverted for new layout)

1 Like

i think a mix between your iris method ansd my own could provide great variations.

1 Like

I implemented some of your technique for variation, and also made the veins more prominent.
Let me know what you think, please.

HDRI: Cayley Interior by Greg Zaal at HDRI Haven

HDRI: Cayley Interior by Greg Zaal at HDRI Haven

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, nice progress you’re doing, but I think that the blue iris was more realistic before than it’s know. (hard to say irl, because every iris is unique) and I also think that the iris hasn’t changed.
But just one question, the right side of the iris (the black shadow or sth) looks real nice, but on the left side the shadow is more subtle. Is it the way you meant it?

Really great, tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

olive is the funny one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and compliment, cergina!

Good thing I’m saving the iterations =)
I agree it looked better before… at least the iris, which I changed only slighly. There’s more randomness to the first layer (the yellow) as it extends further in random spots (using a noise texture mask). There’s also very subtle hue differences in the blue area also created using a noise texture driving a color ramp.

But, I’m with you… the iris looked better before.

For the shadow, it’s just this lighiting and angle of lighting… but I could probably work to make it softer.
Take this real photo for example… the shadow is harsher on the side from which light is being received

source: https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2020/04/pink-eye.php

I’ll keep working on it =)

Thanks again!

1 Like

How’s this?
Different lighting. The old iris you liked, and slight adjustments to make the shadow over the iris softer.

HDRI: Leadenhall Market by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

Eevee real-time render

Cycles render

HDRI: Quattro Canti by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

Evee real-tim render

Cycles render

HDRI: Leadenhall Market by Andreas Mischok on HDRI Haven

1 Like

I think one thing to note is that your dark streaks seem to be a little too dark for the color of the eye - they’re almost as dark as the pupil. I think if you blend those dark streaks a little better, and match them to the color of the eye a little more, it’s going to look a lot more naturall. You could probably set it to some kind of layer blending, like multiply, dodge or color burn (experiment - see what works) which should also allow for easier control of the general eye color.

Some really good work here though!

1 Like

perhaps you could hide the background with a mix shader and the is camera ray tricks to better focusing on the eyeball?

1 Like

Yes, you’re absolutely right… I need to find a way to retain the detail of the iris layers but also allow the color from the bottom layer to show through without the harsh shadow.

Thanks!

Yes, I can definitely do that… I actually have that World node tree set up already and ready to be put to use.

Thanks!

I really like it, especially with the reflection.
The only think that looks a bit odd to me - at least i do have it so with my eye that I have something like this around my iris.

2 Likes

Thank you.

What is it that you have around your iris that looks odd in these renders?

I’ve put that black stripe in photoshop around the iris, if you compare it to your previous render result.
Even if i google eyes I can see that black edge that is more visible on them than on your eye.
That is the only think that is telling me that its not real.

1 Like

I do see what you are referring to. The iris is often darker at the edge where it meets the sclera.
As you mentioned before, each eye is so unique. I see some examples in your screenshot that are very dark at the edge, and others not so much.

On this source there is no darker edge and which more closely matches my more recent results.

On some of the earlier renders in this thread I had a darker edge and that received some constructive feedback, so I softened that transition a little.
Here, it is darker

Lighting and angle go a long way to affect this appearance.

Hopefully a quick adjustment I’m going to make to address a different critique will also help with this.
I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Juste put a parameter for it. :wink:

1 Like