Selected Modeling Threads

This is a place for users to post links to Modeling threads that contain useful information or tutorial-worthy content that would otherwise be difficult to find. Links don’t have to be from the Modeling Forum; they can, for instance, link to threads in the Artwork Section, as long as the useful content is about Modeling.

Please post the link to the First Page of the thread.
Write your own Description of the content you find worthy so readers know what’s there.
State clearly which Page(s) contains the useful content, or at least on which page it starts.

%<

1 Like

VincentXD has a mini tutorial on the particle hair he made for Her Name is Sasha - WIP
The tutorial starts on the first page with post 6, 7 and 8, and then goes into some details on post 12. It’s an intermediate tutorial, he doesn’t go into keystroke detail.

VincentXD outlines his workflow, tools and settings for creating a short hair style for a female character, using particles and curve guides. His technique involves three separate layers of particle emitter meshes, and he includes a link to another more comprehensive tutorial written for some other software package.

blenditall has a mini tutorial on making roof tiles using the array modifier in Rooftops [ Tutorial on page 2].
As he mentions in the title, the tutorial is on page 2, post #25, with an additional hint in post #30. He goes into detail on using the array modifier, but you have to know how to model.

blenditall outlines a procedure to create realistic roof tiles using the array modifier. He gives detailed settings for the array modifier panels, and offers some hints about how to get the tiles to “tile” properly. BgDM moved the thread to the gallery (it’s that good!)

osxrules describes a way to use planes instead of Background Image to display reference photos while modeling a naked girl in Sigh, I remember when she was just a square (warning nudity). You’ll need to be familiar with the UV image editor window and UV face select mode.

osxrules describes his method of displaying reference images on planes on the first page in the first post, just above the images. The images show the planes and the model, which gives an idea of the set up he uses. Note: this is not the set up you see in Max or Maya tutorials on modeling cars.

Wolf wrote a mini tutorial in response to PG1’s question about how to create disk brakes in Creating disk brake. It’s a beginning tutorial with step by step screen shots and key press instructions.

Wolf describes a method of using bezier curves to put small circular holes in a larger disk to create an automobile or motorcycle disk brake. The tutorial is on the first page, the second post. You can’t miss it: ten large screen shots in a row. Dial-up users will need patience.

Mexicoxican had a short, but sweet, thread on modelling a Colt 1911 pistol: here. The pictures are good right from the beginning, but the thread’s modelling utility is on the second page when mexicoxican posts instructive images on creating a checked pattern for the pistol grip, and then wrapping it around the grip. CAD level detail, animated!

LOTRJ wrote a tutorial about putting holes for spokes into a bicycle hub in response to Slyon’s question in Help with holes in a hub. It’s a beginner to intermediate level tutorial, plenty of screen shots, but not too many key press instructions for basic operations.

A solution to a similar problem as in “Creating Disk Brakes”, LOTRJ describes a method that uses only basic mesh modeling tools. The tutorial is on the first page of the thread, and is post # 7. There is a render of the finished product in post # 4. As a bonus, LOTRJ describes a way to use Moment of Inspiration (another 3D modeling app) to produce an obj file that can be imported into Blender, using booleans that actually work well (in post# 11). Note that MoI is currently a free beta test application, this may change in the future (ie: no longer beta test, no longer free.)

KevinW posted a nice method of modeling knurling on a cyliner in response to MINNEW’s question in how to make a knurled texture. It’s a low intermediate tutorial, lots of screen shots, mentions which tools to use, but doesn’t give key press instructions.

KevinW shows how to put knurling on a cylinder using loop cuts, proportional editing and extruding. It’s the second post. In the same thread, PapaSmurf mentions a knorling method using textures and Syziph provides a link to a video tutorial to do knurling with another method.

JDA asked How do you make an Equilateral Triangle with rounded corners? robbur, g60, Lynda, Syziph and I all responded with instructions or links to a tutorial. Mostly it’s low intermediate level: what to do, but few keypress instructions.

Each method is slightly different, but all produce a triangle with rounded corners. The instructions are in single posts on the first page. robbur provides some background information about the method in the tutorial in a second post further down the page.

Tamarin modeled a couple of excellent solid mobius strips and provided an intermediate level tutorial on how they were produced in his thread mobius strip.

The instructions are in post number 5 on the first page. Tamarin outlines the incredibly simple technique he used to produce solid mobius strips.

Modren shows landscape topology for hills, embankments and retaining walls in Datameister’s thread Help with mesh geometry. Modren provides screen shots of meshes designed to maintain quad topology and edge loops for several tricky landscape situations.

The images are attachments to posts 4,5,7, and 8 on the first page.

LiveWire shows how to make a chain hang properly (or animate) using soft body deformations in Chain-Like Motion (Now with Tutorial and Blend). Although an advanced concept, I think a beginner could follow this tutorial, since LiveWire includes key press instructions and screen shots of the relevant button window panels.

The tutorial is in post #4 and a blend file is included (link in first post.) This technique is not only useful for hanging chains, but would be useful for getting the realistic curves for suspension bridges, telephone wires hanging between telephone posts, ropes, spider webs, or any other situation where long flexible thingys are suspended between points. As the title implies, this is also useful for animation.

In his thread Female Steampunk Robot WIP ben has a quick demonstration on how to cleanly convert a bezier curve filagree into a mesh. It’s an advanced tutorial: you have to know how to model with meshes and bezier curves.

The tutorial is in post #15, five large images with some accompanying text. Lovers of all things steam punk or Victorian will really appreciate this technique.

DichotomyMatt came up with a way to curve text which he posted in Curved text with Lattice. He demonstrates curving and twisting text simultanously, but it could be used to make text waves, make text turn corners, or other applications. It’s an advanced tutorial, you have to know how to model, use modifiers, add text objects, use lattices and bezier curves.

The technique is outlined in the first post, with a screen shot of the set-up, a render, a link to an animated version, and a link to download the blend file (in the third post).

Yeah, i love it very much. :stuck_out_tongue: but can you tell me how to deal with the content which on your page?? i am sorry i cant know it well. thanks for your help with me .

Richard Culver has a great explanation of what happens when a cut is made into a surface with subsurf, and what to do about it, with a very nice example image in Rinne’s thread Cutting in subdivided surfaces. Rinne outlines the problem in the first and third posts (cutting a chunk out of a subsurfed circular mesh, while maintaining the circular shape) and RichardCulver’s solution is in post six.

This is an advanced tutorial – no hot keys or steps to follow, but should be a great help to people learning how to work with subsurf. RichardCulver also provides links to the Lightwave wiki which goes into more detail on the subject, and to his Lightwave tutorial on Subpatch Modeling, which in Blender terms would be called Modeling with the Subsurf Modifier.

oops wrong post, sorry. (edited out)

ejodezayiyie afkugfefof http://asifosagit.com/

really cool

where is this thread for landscape modeling? I want to model a shoreline and I know it’s pretty much straight with curves but to me with out a (top ortho reference ) it doesn’t look right and I have tried ariel views of Florida and California coast images etc. it doesn’t work.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/36627