Selecting with BKEY

(MarcelloN) #1

I’m new to Blender and tried to work my way through the manual tutorial (gingerman Gus).

In the tutorial is says the by using BKey on vertices in front few, the vertices behind the ones visible are also selected. This feature is used in the tutorial to extrude Gus’ armes and legs. However when trying this only the two visible vertices I selected extruded. Leaving me with a flat plan instead of extruded cubes. What do I do wrong?

Thanx a lot!!

(no3) #2

Maybe you should check your DrawType, you are probably in solid. Hit Z to go to wireframe, and try again, you wil most probably have selected the back-two vertice too.

(Duoas) #3

In Edit Mode with Solid Draw type enabled, look to the left end of the 3D View header bar. You’ll see four buttons:
-one with three dots
-one with a line
-one with a triangle and a dot in the middle
-one with a cube

Click the cube. This allows you to edit in Solid Draw mode and select vertices,etc. as if you were in Wireframe Draw mode. Many blenderheads here seem to prefer this.

Too bad there’s no shortcut key to swap…

(lp_developer) #4

noob

(Morbid) #5

noob

??

(MarcelloN) #6

Thanx guys. That was what I was looking for. Still some stuff to figure out, but I will manage :wink:

(myfish) #7

It gets alot of people.
Its not obvious that blender needs to be in wireframe.

The tutorial doesn’t make that clear.

(Laurifer) #8

A lot of those tutorials were written using older versions of Blender. I think it was 2.35 when this new feature came up. Maybe 2.36? Whatever. Anyway, back then, you had no choice. Weather you were in solid or wireframe, selecting went all the way through the mesh.

It’s a shame that the documentation isn’t kept a little more up to date.

-Laurifer

(Istigkeit) #9

A lot of those tutorials were written using older versions of Blender. I think it was 2.35 when this new feature came up. Maybe 2.36? Whatever. Anyway, back then, you had no choice. Weather you were in solid or wireframe, selecting went all the way through the mesh.

It’s a shame that the documentation isn’t kept a little more up to date.

-Laurifer[/quote]

I tell you, it can be difficult for a simple noob like myself trying to make his way in the Blender world learning on outdated tutorials.

There’s been a couple of times I’ve made it a few steps into some tutorial, only to not be able to locate something that’s changed since then.

(myfish) #10

honestly…

easiest way to learn the very basics is install the version that comes with the manual.
That has version errata also, for 2 sub versions i think.

I stayed with that till the simple stuff was out of the way, and i got a basic feel for blender. 2.32 is very capable as far as any aspirations go, and the manual and software are much more in tune than say 2.37a with the manual or the online docs.

I’m no blender expert, but this is THE way to learn the interface without getting cropped up all the time.

Actually, i guess it wouldn’t hurt for someone to get in there and change the gingerbread man tutorial considering the hassle it causes everyone.
Its a good tut, just needs cleaning up.

(ThierryV) #11

This was very helpfull!

Thanks.