Selection via texture....?

Question at bottom.

I am well aware of the fact that what I am asking might not be possible, but I will ask anyway.

I made a skin suit for a few of my characters but when I tired making one suit through sculpting, it took days, and ended up not loading, so I made a displacement texture for it instead. maybe took an hour. However, I want to make an animation for it where part of it shrinks down to fit to the character, but I only want the white parts to shrink while the metallic parts remain the same size.

Can I use the displacement texture to select only the white parts of the object?

Are you using subdivision to generate the vertices? If so, those aren’t real vertices, just virtual vertices, and they’re not selectable in edit mode.

If you’re not using any kind of subdivision, it’s possible to select by texture color, but not easy. You could create a vertex group, then use your texture to modulate a vertex group edit modifier, which could be used to put the vertices that were white (to some level of error) in a single, selectable vertex group.

If you like to keep your topology, I would say no. What you try to achieve isn’t possible.

I think the simplest way would be doing it by hand. Knife tool and some music. :wink: