Selective glossy

Hi everybody,

Imagine the following situation: a chrome sphere reflecting two objects, A and B. Now, I don´t want Object B being reflected on sphere. How can I do this in Cycles?

Thanks in advance.

Yep - give the object you don’t want to show a reflection - a material like this blue sphere:

The only problem is - your object won’t have a shadow either. You can’t give it a shadow either since the shadow would show up in the reflection even though the object won’t.

The shadow issue was the problem, Moony! And another question: is it possible to avoid blue object reflection on the chrome sphere, but keep its reflection on other objects, just setting up the shaders nodes?

Not using that node setup - it makes the blue sphere invisible to all reflections.

I’m not sure if there is a way to do it using nodes.

The easiest method would probably be to composite the scene. Render the scene with and without the blue sphere - then just overlay the two images and mask off the areas you don’t want it to appear in GIMP or Photoshop.

Thsnks, Moony. I knew that the best way would be via composite. Thanks, again.

You may solve the shadow problem by setting up the light path to glossy ray, it won’t reflect in the chrome sphere but it will cast shadows…

The problem with that solution is that the objects shadow will reflect - even though the object itself doesn’t.

Having a shadow with no object casting it will look odd.