Self awareness definition - and AI

I imagine a hypothetical robot as follows:

• Has sensors for light, taste, smell, sounds and thousands for pressure and temperature etc.
  • Stores sensor data and has access to this data.
  • Has memory, time registration,
  • Can adjust it’s own code / self-learning.
  • Has fluids that simulate hormones, and have direct or indirect connection to the sensors.
  • Programmed to protect itself and reproduce. (Implicates that it has to protect environment).

But no matter how I imagine such a robot, I looks to me it never can have (the kind of) self-awareness (as we humans).

To come to that point, try also to imagine that these hormons (etc) are virtual (software instead of physical fluids). Quite weird, right? Where is that self-awareness?

When I look up a definition of self-awareness, such definition looks far from complete. Example:

Self-awareness involves being aware of different aspects of the self including traits, behaviors, and feelings . Essentially, it is a psychological state in which oneself becomes the focus of attention. Self-awareness is one of the first components of the self-concept to emerge.

I can’t put my finger on it where such self-awareness that AI robots can’t have is coming from. Any idea’s?

1 Like

Well we don’t know what makes us self-aware either.

In “Moon - the harsh mistress” Heinlein wrote that difference between a computer and true consciousness might just be in number of neurons (I might be lying though, i only read it as a kid). After a certain critical threshold - poof! - the system is alive. Or not.

There’s a interesting YouTube video on Kurzgesagt channel about the concept of Emergence.

1 Like

The human brain is incredibly complex, replicating that complexity would take many many trillions of insanely fast and efficient binary connections, however, machine consciousness is inevitable. An equivalency would be the existence of conscious alien life. Statistically it is highly unlikely that it doesn’t exist, however, the speed of light issue, makes it highly unlikely that our paths will ever cross. The same issue with machine consciousness. It is highly unlikely that humanity will be able to survive itself before the complexity of machines will reach the levels needed to achieve self awareness.

1 Like

I found a video on Kurzgesagt:

But what is explained in the video, we could hypothetically simulate it. Yet not is defined what that awareness is. There are very interesting comments in there, and it seems to me we are all guessing like it’s a blind spot.

Yes, unlikely we can create awareness in devices. It looks like we don’t even know what it is, it seems.

My guess so far is that consciousness is like an interaction between us and a force outside of us. And not located in any organ or part of the brain. Like consciousness is everywhere, but we are only aware of ourselves.

The whole idea of Artificial Intelligence breaks down the moment you consider the possibility that consciousness is something that is non-computable.
It gets more mind blowing if you consider consciousness as non-local.
If you want to increase the weirdness factor even more, throw some eastern philosophy in the mix and proclaim that there is no real “self”, so what are “you” aware of?

As I understand it, Artificial Intelligence doesn’t need the kind of self-awareness as we humans have. It might have some code that refers to itself or even writes itself, but it doesn’t create consciousness.

And I think, no matter how advanced you make this computer with fluids as hormones and all, there is still no self-awareness.