Self Portrait Cycles

I’ve been working on a self portrait for a while now but wasn’t happy with my results in Eevee so I’ve converted it to Cycles. I think I’m getting close but would like a place to dump some progress and get some feedback:

11 Likes

It’s kinda difficult without seeing the reference.

it’s impressive, is it a photoscan and retopo?

Really good work!
Also, some breakdowns of the process would be really helpful

Looking great… like a real photo with the blur in background. Good details, hair a little shuffled, beard neatly trimmed… are the eyes a little crossed like focusing close up on something. Lighting is good for me. Great work… hope to see more from you.

The whole thing was a bit of a long project over the past year.

The model is from a photogrammetry scan I got from a 3D scanner I built (also designed in Blender) Here is a video of me using it:

Here are the scan results as well as some of the WIP shots of the cleanup process:

Cleanup was in Zbrush and Blender. Retopo was using R3DS Wrap and Blender

I might do a bit more of a breakdown on the texture work a little later as well.

3 Likes

Now this is really impressive. Good work! The only thing that’s sticking out are the eyes. Interestingly I don’t have that impression looking at your last PNG. Maybe it’s just the lighting of your render.

Thanks!
Yeah I agree. The eyes need the most work at the moment. skin tone and color grading are another thing that’s killing things for me atm.

I will post a reference image of my self soon.

It’s definitely one of the best I’ve seen, I doubt I would have been able to peg it as CG given a bunch of real photos to choose from, incredible.

Can’t believe nobody mentioned the fact that you designed and built your own scanning system. :joy: it’s brilliant.

Model has turned out really well too. How did you find doing the hair in Blender’s weird hair workflow?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, huge number of points for that. You’re probably at the level where you could print out a clone of yourself for zoom meetings and car pool lanes.

2 Likes

OK yeah the eyes were looking really dead. here’s an update on those. made them blend a bit more into the surrounding anatomy and tweaked the shader. threw in a gif for comparison as well.

CyclesRender36

Throwing up some alternate angles as well as I go:

And thanks for all the positive feedback / comments!. The project has been a long one but a lot of fun. Still chipping away at things.

2 Likes

Briliant

Some great WORKflow!

It was a bit of a learning curve
I really was hoping to find some procedural way to do it for most of the workload and I did find some shortcuts. But in the end I bit the bullet and just did it the way Blender expects you too for 80% of it.

If anyone’s curious here’s some shots:

One way I did cheat initially is using the scan textures I was able to get correct location of hair placements which I could convert to a mask then use the mask to affect a vertex group which controlled hair placement:

This gave me a good base but eventually I ditched the modifiers and just edited the weights in Blender.

3 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Oh sweet, thanks so much!.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Amazing work! That scanner is very impressive. Be sure not to get any flies caught in there when you’re scanning.