Self Portrait

This is my latest project. It was kind of inspired by an image I saw, where a anime style 2D character was drawn into a photograph. So I decided I wanted to do a self portrait … but with both the Environment as well as the character being 3D.

Except for the Screenshot I used for my monitor and the wireframe, I used Cycles andand 2.79 to create this scene.

Some intresting tricks I used:

• I used a bit of procedural generarion with remesh and displacement modifiers and particle systems to create the brick walls and wooden Support Pillars
  • I learned, that you don’t actually want to use the bump node for bump texturing. You’ll get way better results using displlacement node, displacement output and selecting the “Bump only” Option in your Material for some reason.
  • want to make foam? Use a colored Voronoi Cell Nose as Normalmap, and crank down the strength. It does not work for macros, but if you’re not tooo close, it gives oyu a nice foam like look.
  • If you’re trying to do something fotorealistic, use raw photo editing softwares such as rawtherapee, darktable or lightroom for post processing
  • If you want to do something stilized, it does not always have to make sence. sometimes having visual elements, that look kind of not fitting can make something look more hand drawn, since … humans aren’t perfect and 2D-Art dooes not always has to make sence.
  • if you’re using screenshots, do a little bit of brighness/contrast adjustments so it looks more like how screens appear on camera.
  • use HDR Textures for walls hidden for the camera in indoor Scenes. It gives you way more realistic lighting while saving a lot of render time and detail and you can’t see it in camera anyway
  • It can be a good idea to tint HDR textures, if you need another color for your scene.

Finally … here’s the modifier stack I used to create this digital-painting like look:

1. Use Subdivision Surface and Displacement to mess up the normals of your model a bit. (a,b,c)
  2. Use the Decimate Modifier and Collaps-Option to break the Quad structure (d)
    (if you skip this, the geometry in your next step will still have remains of your quad structure) (f)
  3. Use the Decimate Modifier and the Angle-Option to create bigger faces on flat areas. (e)
  4. Use smooth shading to make it more … smooth (g)
  5. Add some Bevels if you like (h)

For inspecting assets or just supporting me, feel free to have a look at artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YaOJ8Y

This Image is Licenced under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

43 Likes

Nice Work!

1 Like

I must say it was an interesting use of modifiers :slight_smile:

1 Like

My friends call me master cheese. :cheese:

nice work man !!!

1 Like

Really nice! (Instead of Suzanne you could have had this scene showing on the monitor lol)

1 Like

I actually thought about it but didn’t want to do it because it’s quite a lot of detail to be in the area plus a second human character…

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing my work :smiley:

1 Like

You’re #featured! :+1:

1 Like

Awesome :+1:

WoW! I’ve never seen anything quite like that before, but what were you doing spilling your mug on your desk! I hope it was already empty.

I’m glad I couldt introcuce you to a new idea. And yes, the cup was empty. ^^;

Hey yo, cool work right here.

Just one thing that seems out for me a bit.

In the first images, the objects in front that are blured seems to be like they are VERY close to the camera, but in the second image we can see that they’re not.

So… you’re losing detail of some objects in the scene (the jacket or cloth, or whatever it is, lose details), and the other tiny objects on the corner and the ones beneath the lamp.

The thing is that i would suggest to turn down the blur to a point that those objects dont seem to be in the very front of the camera (which they are not)

Just my 2 cents ^^

Nonetheless, again, cool work, dude. Keep working and getting better :wink:

Thank you for your feedback. However there’s reasoning behind it. the brick wall in itself has a bunch of detail. And when you compose an image, you mostly want to have areas with less detail so the eye can “rest”. So in order for this image to be not compleately overwhelming with detail, I had to use a really wide aperture so the objects, that are further and closer, than the cameras cofus point get a strong blur.

But yeah … I probably overdid the blur on the picture a bit so it seems spmewhaz artificial … not many cameras actually can have a 2.4 f-stop aperture, because this requires really expensive lenses.

But then again I tend to prefer making things look authentic and visually pleasing over making them look more realistic, but visually less intresting.

good work bro keep it up

hello bro this is kureshi parvez i am new here