Self Portrait

Hey everyone!
I originally did this as celebration for 2000 likes on my facebook page.
But to also post it on other sites I removed the hovering text and replaced it with some blurry fireflies. :wink:

Here’s the original :wink:

I spend a lot of time on the hair btw! To show my effort with the model here are some viewport screenshots :wink:

I hope you like it and please let me know what you think!
Critique is very welcome as always!

2 Likes

Congratulations for your 2000 likes and for your sculpt! You transmit exactly what you want. I like the facial expression and I also prefer the fireflies to the FB icon.
BTW, is that ZBrush sculpt or Blender?
Have a good day!

Wow this looks awesome!

Thanks! I sculpted everything in Blender with dyntopo. Except the shirt which I modeled :wink:
Have a nice weekend!

Very nice style, very nice.

You are one stellar artist, Julien. Keep inspiring us! :smiley:

You, sir, inspire me. The fine detail in the hair… stunning. I literally stared at this masterpiece for 10 minutes. I… LOVE… the style and would KILL for one of myself.

Do you maybe have a timelapse of the sculpting? Maybe a tutorial? Something to satisfy my urge to have one? How long did this take by the way? And is the skin node setup complicated? It looks simple… I like simple.

super nice work;) Congratulations for your 2000 likes:yes:

Thank you so much! :smiley:
So far I didn’t do any timelapses but I’m planning to do so ( maybe even some mini-tutorials :slight_smile: ). I did make some tutorials & mini-interviews on 3D total and Blendernation about my creation process though.
For this artwork I didn’t do much shading at all. I just gave them a simple diffuse-glossy material with the vertex colors plugged in, set up some lights and did the rest in Photoshop. Simple :wink:

How do you get such clean surface from dynamic topology. great work

Turning the resolution up bit by bit & a lot of smoothing! :smiley:
Usually: First stroke to get a higher resolution -> Smooth over it -> Then sculpt the detail.
After that keep the setting at “Subdivide Edges” to not accidentally destroy some details somewhere and I can also recommend using “Constant Detail” instead of “Relative Detail” at a certain point to keep a certain detail level :wink:

awesome man … keep it up :slight_smile:

Beautiful work!

Hair has a good finish.

Could you post wireframe?

Thanks for the tips Julien I definitely put them to good use.

@Clueless123456 dude its a dynamic topology sculpt aside from the shirt like Julien said, all you are likely to see is a mass of triangles.

Very nice work!

Love the styling. The characters pose is perfect!

Blender institute could use a new big bucks bunny movie but with humans. This style would fit perfect.

Fantastic work. Congrats on 2000 likes.

How did you give the lips another material in such a complex mesh?

The entire head has the same material. I just used vertex colors :wink: