sell generated mesh

hi all,
is here anybody who knows, if it is legal to sell meshes from makehuman?
I mean generate some meshes in makehuman, export to obj for example and upload it to some web pages where can i sell my models…
thanks

I think that would be a question to ask the makers of MakeHuman (maybe it’s on their website).

I I don’t think it’s legal but I haven’t read the licence and I ain’t a lawyer. But one thing do I know it’s not ethically right. Also I’ve never sold any mesh but I’ve read in some threads here that the business for models isn’t big.

You’d have to check the licensing that comes with it. I don’t have access to it so I can’t check, but if there isn’t a direct statment giving you rights of commercial use then the answer is No.

However, there are several issues even if it was legal to use it for commercial purposes. For example; claiming to have made the model instead of using a human-model-generating-script is up for false /missleading advertising and other nasties which you can be sued for.

In general, such a tactic (using a generating script and then selling that model) is one of those moral /ethical issues, which won’t be looked on too possitivly…

Oh and an active right to use it commercial doesn’t necessairly mean to sell the model. For example, I can buy fonts which in turn can be used in my commercial designs I do for clients, but I cant sell the font to other people in any form that will allow them to use that font themselves… So that means you can use the model and make a render which in turn you sell, but you cant sell the model.

http://www.dedalo-3d.com/index.php?par1=LXfPCgUBNogIrZTIpzFlI&sec=e24896b8fa7e7631b39dfef702abf7f3

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Mesh”), to deal in the Mesh without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Mesh, and to permit persons to whom the Mesh is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Mesh.

THE MESH IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE MESH OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE MESH.

hope that answers ur question lol

im not going to do this,
my english is not good and im not lawman… but it seems i can sell the mesh or parts of mesh…
i dont want to sell it in 3dmodels shops, but i want to use it in some project (rig it and animate it). but it is possible, that client will want the blend files also, so i want to know if i can do this.
sorry but i dont understand much this licence :frowning:

How can people be so pure in their hearts and intentions?

I love this community.

:smiley:

lol? some 1 asked for explanation and i posted it as said by someone else

in other words heres the 1 sentense definition of what i wrote above, for those who dont speak english very well.

U CAN DO WHAT EVER THE HEK U WANT WITH THE MESHES

Since the license points out that the meshes can be used in any manner the discussion is moot.

But just to speak my mind here… what would be the point of not being able to use the Makehuman meshes in commercial work? That would make it a product for hobbyists. In order to compete at a level with Poser and other such similar software, the artist should be able to export the model he created in Makehuman (usually some work on the users part is involved here as you’d morph it to suit your needs), rig it, texture it for use in commercial work. It promotes their software to the world in one way. If the license was restrictive in this way, it would be better to just use 3D apps to model from scratch.

You know if this was a full-fledged & complete product; a commercial support license could be sold to users much like Redhat but not at a large scale to fund further development of Makehuman. Or maybe the team could create a stock pile of morphed characters and sell them like Daz3D.

also its faiirly much imposible to prove that the mesh was even made with makehuman, some alteration is still needed to the mesh after it was generated as if i remember correctly the poses cannont be exported out, and for riging some things must be cahnged