Selling games made in blender?

Please read the whole post before answering… thanks

Now that the new version of blender is out and we are able to create exe files out of it, I just wondered, if its possible to create a commercial quality game with it (at least at retail quality) Is it ok to sell it? for some reason there are tons of blitz made games, flash games, etc. But no blender games, at least not that I know of.

Before you try to pull the gpl license, let me remind you I did read the contract agreement and It specifically mentions you are able to do whatever you want with the content (3d geometry, images) created with blender including sell them, since games are created with blender that would include them.

Ok so whats your opinion?

to comply with the gpl you’d have to provide the source

… of the player

however, you ought to be able to simply say the source is on the blender cvs and whatnot

so, yeah, you can

and you can create some of the commercial quality stuff, it is just a lot of work

doing things like real realtime shadows [instead of just a blob], however, is not possible currently.

No idea if someone sold some games. As far I know, if you want to sell them, you can contribute some money to the blender foundation if you sell more then a specifiq amount of copies. It would be nice, but it’s not a rule. :stuck_out_tongue: Well If I make money sometime with a blender game, I would donate some to the foundation

Post edited –

No, he said you CAN contribute, if you got over $2000, and it would be nice, but nothing obligatory.

I heard with Game Maker, you don’t even need a license to sell your games!

the only problem is you are likley to make less money if it is not 3d

the only problem is you are likley to make less money if it is not 3d[/quote]

True.

Yeah, usually games are 3D now.

Well some not completly 3D. In the Netherlands where I life, they did a research on games that where sold, and they found out that older games are more ofthen bought then before. So a game made in a 3D engine with platform view could make some money too. :stuck_out_tongue:

i know some people that will sell my games if i want to, but i havent made annthing Rely good yet so i dont want to

%| Hehe, I wonder if you read this part. http://blender3d.com/cms/General.196.0.html#1090

Can I use Blender commercially?
Yes you can. Any creation you make as an artist with Blender is your sole property, and can be applied for any purpose you choose to. This also applies the Python scripts you write with Blender.

If you like to distribute Blender itself, you have to be aware of the GPL rules, which basically means you have to make sources for Blender available as well. However, in general it’s sufficient to provide information that forwards to blender.org.

For a bundled product (blender file and blender player) we have to sort it out still, here a conflict might apply making the .blend file GPL as well. This information will be updated.

Check out the last paragraph.

Hmm, making commercial games in Blender is possible I believe. You just need a team of people to make some good quality games like they do for most commercial games out there.

Jason Lin

hhhmmm, game maker (gm) isnt that good ive learnt and used it, im in progress of akeing a 2d sidescroller with 3d graphics right now, but selling blender games i would say yea, as for realtime shadows they can be faked.

http://img44.exs.cx/img44/2640/6032.jpg

and then animated.

Yessssssssssssss.
But so what do they mean by u must show ur source?

Can i just make a game in blender, change the icon to my icon and then just sell that .exe. Or do i have to have some source or some crap?

One more question that shadow that u faked in blender it looks good.
I dont know how u did that shadow. but what i would do is just copy and paste the object i made and make it really thin so its like a shadow and then just attach it to the shadow to the object and animate the shadow and object togather and, voila you have a realistic looking fake real time shadow. It doesent take up much frames and it looks just as good as a real shadow!

How did u fake that shadow?

You can try to make a doom type game which is all 2d graphics but render in 3D. Take freedoom and run it in Risen 3D

so
I’m thinking that you can’t provide source of exe.
You schould provide source if you will distribute BlenderPlayer.
But exe file is like a picture of something. This picture also isn’t under GPL.

jm

what u mean picture?

If ur talking about the blender logo icon, Well u can change that icon!

The game executables which you can generate with Blender are just the Blender player with an attached .blend. The problem could be that if you append the .blend to the player that it could be interpreted as ‘linking’ - the GPL doesn’t allow linking non-GLPed software with GPLed software.

I for my part doubt it, because you could also run them seperately and the .blend would just be data which is just processed by the player - and for my part appending is not linking.

So if you sell your games as exes then at least add a link where the Blender source could be downloaded, because you are distributing the player! Should be sufficient, I think.

re:kEinStein
let me recapitulate what you are wrote.
so if I’m sell my game I MUST add link to blender source(or link where they can download it)?
because Ton wrote:

BTW: the open source license GPL applies only the software, and not the
content you create with it. Most likely you’re familiar with the
license?

so you think that the content is the *.blend? right. and the softwer is in this case blanderplayer.
so , because an exe file is always (as i understood) *.blend with blanderplayer
the exe is under GPL and then I must add link to Gpl licence and source of blenderplayer.?

there is no way how can I separete the contenet by blenderplayer so that it run like an aplication(exe)?

i’m asking, because, if I schould add information where i’m build this game( in which softwer) they can modified it by your self, easy by changing the .exe to .blend and open it in blender.

I am right?
jm

Actually you’ve got to give the license along with each distribution of an exe and make sure that people which run the exe can access the source of the BlenderPlayer - even if you’re not selling it.

because Ton wrote:

[quote]BTW: the open source license GPL applies only the software, and not the
content you create with it. Most likely you’re familiar with the
license?
[/quote]

Yes, this is fully correct.

so you think that the content is the *.blend? right. and the softwer is in this case blanderplayer.

That’s correct. The content is what you’ve created with the software, in this case: the .blend. The software is the player part of the executable, which you have not created (even though you’ve combined it with your content - this part could be a little bit problematic from a certain perspective).

so , because an exe file is always (as i understood) *.blend with blanderplayer
the exe is under GPL and then I must add link to Gpl licence and source of blenderplayer.?

Yes. The .blend is attached at the end of the player, which makes one file. The BlenderPlayer fetches the .blend data at the end and runs the content. So actually you’re distributing and running the player, which means that you’ve got to apply the terms of the GPL. It does not mean that you’ve got to make your work GPLed (in my opinion - as I mentioned before this part can be a bit problematic, because the GPL requires that you make your work GPL, too, if you link to GPLed software or if you derive from such - which in my opinion you don’t when creating an exe).

there is no way how can I separete the contenet by blenderplayer so that it run like an aplication(exe)?

You can seperate them of course. You could give the .blend along the player (or vice versa) and let the player load the .blend. But the GPL also applies to this case. So you would have to do the same.

i’m asking, because, if I schould add information where i’m build this game( in which softwer) they can modified it by your self, easy by changing the .exe to .blend and open it in blender.

I am right?

Right. But I actually don’t really see what you’ve won with it if you could not open it easily - we already had this discussion once.

There’s still one point: If there’s no one of the authors of Blender that is actually willing to sue you for the compliance to the GPL then you won’t have any problem at all if you don’t tell ppl where to obtain the source. The blenderplayer and the game executables are definitely a special case. But in respect to the coders and fairness to the users you should make the copyright notices and where to obtain the sources accessible to the users. It is also much safer for you - because you never know who might feel pissed by you in the future and pushes you to court just for no reason. So you should do it just for precaution.