Selling games made in blender?

thanks for your explanation.
you know, i’m little bit fighting with this isseu. :frowning:
I heard about man that buy something like a licence from blender foundation to use blender executable files like comercial product.
he said that there was some problem with permission from side of Blender because of a GPL. So they made some verdict that he can use his work like a commercial prod… I don’t know exactly how they work out their problem…mayby they easy inclose the gpl licence.
But at first I think that here is posibility to buy some extra licence from blender found.

• we already had this discussion once.
    you are right, as I tell before
    i’m little bit fighting with this isseu.

for me isn’t this realy problem, but if I made some stuff for any customer, they would have product that belongs only to them not to all. You know what I mean.

ok there is only two ways, one way is that we can make “game” but under GPL with GPL rights(that means open source of all that we made and blenderplayer)
second way is too use blender like a for.ie. modeling tool and then use another engine

but second way isn not to easy like a first,but… :frowning:
thx jm

ok there is only two ways, one way is that we can make “game” but under GPL with GPL rights(that means open source of all that we made and blenderplayer)

You do not have to put your work under GPL - that’s what I told you. The BlenderPlayer is GPLed and because you are distributing along with your game you’ve got (if go strictly with the GPL) make sure that the users know that a) they know that the player is Free Software and b) where to get the sources of the player.

I think you mean with Open Source for your work that everybody actually could open it in Blender. Open Source != GPL - and I still don’t get the point. you are afraid that your customer might change it in the future themselves. If you do your work well and sell the part you don’t like in Blender as a feature (“secure investment” because a) the BlenderPlayer is free so anyone can get the sources and make changes there in the far future, even if no original developer is alive anymore and b) your work is OS and changes could be made by anyone if you don’t want or can’t do it - that’s actually worth an extra money and in the end they’ll come to you again anyway.).

second way is too use blender like a for.ie. modeling tool and then use another engine

Well, the other engines are frameworks for programming your own engine and probably you could have a similiar problem if you’re using a free game engine framework. And you’d most probably have the problem with scripts and models - they could be opened anyway - just looks at all the MODs of commercial games. So there’s not much difference at all. The only difference is how you present it to the customer - see the chances and don’t worry that someone could “steal” your work (and if he does and you can prove it - sue him! The world is pretty small in our times and no one can really stay out of reach…) with Blender easier than with something else - this is just an illusion! Actually Open Source is widely common (and I don’t mean FREE Software/GPL/BSD licence) in business… Just sell it as an extra feature for extra money, because in fact it is!

. o O (Jesus, who is the pessimistic german?! Me or you?!) :wink:

you know, for me doesn’t matter that I schould give the the source code of Blender Player to customer , but I am afraid that the blend file is open. so they can change it, or easy they have source code, so they can redistribute “my” code to other people, and there is no bussines.

what I want is protection of my data, as it was in a past. The Blender have your own key, the user have your own key.
Yee I know, in a fact this isn’t big protection, but it is.

as I wrote before in discussion on blender forum, better have small protection then nothing.
I don’t know exactlly every licence, like a gpl, …
but i think that is fair make, or learn software as a free and then if I make decision to use it like a commercial tool I will pay some money.
what I want to say is that in a fact I want pay money to blender foundation on behalf of their work because they help me a lot. but, I then I need some a little protection of ma data.

I’m just trying to find way how can we made a money and give part of it to developers. because if I have no money a can’t give them anything.
Ofcourse this isn’t the main reason. But it will by fair play. and if
I leave my data open so anyone will not bye it.

jm

Well, I know. I’ve understood that part. But it doesn’t really sound reasonable to me. Just take a look at most commercial games:
Models, textures, sounds, maps, scripts, etc. are accessible - the developers couldn’t prevent that ppl extract their work to some extent. They even cannot prevent that ppl make illegal copies of the whole - which is a much more serious problem. That parts can be extracted doesn’t mean that it isn’t protected (by law). From my point of view you probably won’t make any business at all if you’re waiting that there is assured that ppl can’t extract parts of your work - well, unless you write your own game engine which uses your own formats (even then you don’t have a good protection). So, what is better? Make some business (as the market allows it) or make no business at all? Of course you’ve got to put in the copyright notices that grant you the copyright protection. In this case it could be for example:

a) This is copyrighted by … It is forbidden to copy, use or redistribute this … in a whole or in parts without prior written permission by the author. Violations… etc. etc.
b) Blender / BlenderPlayer are available under the terms of the GPL.
-link to GPL-
-link to the Blender site-

You can have a look at some license agreements on the net for making something much more suitable…

I’m just trying to find way how can we made a money and give part of it to developers. because if I have no money a can’t give them anything.
Ofcourse this isn’t the main reason. But it will by fair play. and if
I leave my data open so anyone will not bye it.

That’s a good attitude. :smiley:

Just take a look at most commercial games:
Models, textures, sounds, maps, scripts, etc. are accessible

hmmm, you are right. %|

so I should leave it as it is and try if it will pass :wink:
I think that it will be possible. I hope.

will see jm

Well, best wishes from here. :slight_smile: