Semi-automatic retopology tool : prototype 3

I was trying to get better framerate but got a glitch hand spaceship instead.

4 Likes

New prototype, now it is slightly faster as I used numpy on every piece of code I could, so much in fact that I am having problems to read it :sweat_smile:

Also, I need a name for this tool, maybe I’ll keep it as SoftWrap although I think its not very original, I also like SoftCast or Topotransfer, any suggestions?

9 Likes

Nice update! Looks pretty snappy.

How about TopoCast/MeshCast or TopoMorph? Topo/Meshcast would imply that there are probably 2 meshes involved. I like wrap, it’s pretty descriptive but may confuse some folks coming from other packages where it’s used for mesh/surface deformers not just shrinkwrap.

Can you use it with vertex/weight groups? So that only a part of the target mesh conforms instead of the whole thing? Sort of like how the Shrinkwrap modifier works with vert groups.

I also like wrap, but I am not sure if it will look too similar to Wrap 3 as I don’t want people to think its meant to compete with it, MeshCast might be a good alternative though.

yes, its doable, but before that I think I it some sort of auto-sizing in order to make the mesh conform properly with so little information.

1 Like

It is magic!

Wow it looks amazing!!! My suggestion MeshWraper or SnapMesh or MeshSnapper :grin:

this tool look like a cloth resolving~

I’d call it TopoGlove, heh :grinning:

Actually looks like it could get a second job doing skin sliding effects!

Really cool work! This is awesome!

1 Like

Pin support is back

14 Likes

For alignment you can use this add-on: https://github.com/patmo141/object_alignment
@cogitas3d use it in his OrtogOnBlender he also has nice photogrametry options, so I think he will be very interesting in this retopo workflow.

I was planing to add some sort of pre-alignment but it turns out the snapping does a pretty good job when mixed with a massive feedback loop.

I think the biggest problem i have now is get both models to scale, depending on the models, proportions may vary on different parts and mess up all the snapping.

I think you should talk to cicero, he has some tools that just do that on OrtogOnBlender, or chek out the code: https://github.com/cogitas3d/OrtogOnBlender

alinhaobjetos:

AlinhaRedimensiona:

well, those seem to be stiff alignments, I think it will only work if models are very similar, which is not the case for topology transfer (different poses).

I’ll need to find a way to scale different parts (edges) of the model on the fly during snapping.

You are probably right :slight_smile: but for a first aproximation maybe?

anyhow! I hope you solve all issues! we really need something like this in blender.

1 Like

Improved pins robustness and added X-Mirror support but its still too slow for my sake, but at least it works sorta like intended.

7 Likes

compared to wrap which can easily take 10 minutes even with 1 iteration it seems pretty fast to me :slight_smile:

I wonder how this does with different types of human models. Can you pick a basemesh and project it into a complex mesh like something from MB lab?

the target mesh doesn’t have much performance impact, I tested the same sculpt with 500k and 10k and didn’t notice any difference. But the source mesh is another history, it works fine up to 2.5k but above it starts getting very laggy.

It works well when projecting a simpler mesh onto a denser one but not when projecting a dense into a dense mesh.

Looking better and better. Keep up the good work!