Sequence editor

For some reason I cannot drag the timebar on the sequence past a certain point. It jumps back to frame 18000. Have I exceeded the default animation length or something? Is there somewhere to set the maximum frames?

finty

I do not know what the limit might be, but I do believe that you must specify the (starting and) ending frame-number in the box at the bottom of the screen. Perhaps this is now 18,000?

you cannot exceed the 180,000 frames limit,

you may find this is quite a pain, and i hate it,

i have no idea why there are restrictions like this on blender, and its really stupid

so, yes, you have exceed your restriction limit of 180000 frames,

lets hope in the next version of blender, they get rid of this restriction

J.Goss

this is a bit limiting isn’t it. maybe blender gets unstable if the movie file is massive.

Interesting.

Well, I searched the source with grep -rl “18000” * and found matches here:

python/api2_2x/doc/Scene.py
python/api2_2x/Lattice.c
python/api2_2x/NMesh.c
python/api2_2x/Scene.c
python/api2_2x/sceneRender.c
src/buttons_logic.c
src/buttons_object.c
src/buttons_scene.c
src/buttons_shading.c
src/drawnla.c
src/editnla.c
src/header_buttonswin.c

It appears to be a “great big number” that someone arbitrarily chose and, without making it a #define constant, scattered throughout the code. I don’t immediately see any memory structures that are dependent upon this particular value. I don’t readily see any reason why this value was chosen nor any inherent problems in changing it to something else.

I agree that the value should be increased, and that it should be #defined as a global constant so that it can be easily and reliably changed.

There seem to be quite a few arbitrary limits in blender like 18000 frames, max 32 rvk, 16 materials per mesh etc. There used to be a arbitrary limit on the number of verts in a mesh which has now been removed. Many of these are not accessed everywhere in the code through a #define. I have no idea why the original code started out this way.

What are the chances that these will get removed soon?

I would really like to get the 32rvk limit off.

I guess blender.org has the bugs/requests list? I don’t know. But it needs to be logged by someone who knows how to do it.

I can tell you that legacy code is full of peculiarities like this. It’s just the way that code winds up. But it’s also easily changed, especially if there’s already a global include-file to which it can be added, without having to diddle with makefiles. I agree that all of these limits should be relaxed. Blender is “growing up.”

It seems atleast the RVK limit will be going up soon:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4291

63 keys instead of 32

Well 18000 isn’t totally arbitary, it’s exactly 10 minutes of 30fps video.
The 10 minute value is totally arbitary afaik, but at least they didn’t just pick “18000” out of thin air :wink:

Incidentally, it is simpler to code structures that have an upper limit to their size (however arbitary) than to code something unlimited.

I don’t agree. Any vallue that needs to be stored in a program is normally held in a ‘variable’ of some sort (integer, double real, array, whatever). The type of variable determines the maximum amount that can be stored in that variable. When there is some ‘limit’ imposed other then the upper limit of the used variable type it means that there is ADDITIONAL coding done to impose (and check) that limit.

However, there can be reasons for imposing limits. For example, if the amount stored is being processed then resulting numbers from certain calculations might get to big to be stored in another specific (choosen) type of variable. So the limit might be imposed ‘backwards’ from a calculation that hits another limit.

10 minutes is very short. I see no reason why this limitation is so low. Especially while working with the sequence editor it is very limiting since you are putting series of shots together. It is a massive limitation to only be able to create 10 minute long movies in Blender. Limit should be like three hours atleast.

Actually, Tgremlin, in this case I don’t think you’ll find that to be an issue anywhere in this application. All integers are 32-bit, and all the major structures are lists, trees, hash-tables and the like – all of which are by their nature extensible.

The number “18,000” is indeed 10 minutes of video, and I am sure that in this case it was basically selected as a reasonableness-figure. And there are plenty of cases where this is fine, because people do mkae tpyos. :wink: But in the case of the Sequence Editor, today, this limit has become too-small.

Try animating it in chunks than recombining it.

I completely agree with you. Just tried to explain to those that don’t know this programming stuff. Still I think that the limit has been set in the past for SOME reason as I tried to explain that such limits are coded instead of being the result of the used variable type. We must not forget that the Blender codebase is some years old now and just a few years ago processing power was of a completely different (as in lesser) amount then we have available today. I’m not familliar with Blender’s internals but I’m sure these limits can be raised substantially without problems.