Serin's Sketchbook

Thought I’d revisit the Tachi from The Expanse. I modelled it back when season 1 was first airing.
Still need to completely redo the nose - its just wrong.

Attachments

Progress on my little Mon Cal/Nubian hybrid.
Went through a pile of topology iterations before I settled on this layout.
Also for the first time attempted to design a ship with comp guide assistance.

Attachments

And some more for good measure…

Attachments

Improving my planet set up using Atair’s volumetric atmosphere shader(found in the test section).
Also experimenting with and learning about resizing textures. This particular set started life much smaller and grew up to be 16k.
The lighting setup is a bit bizarre in that it included a pro lighting skies HDRI in the mix. Thought it looked nice.

‘Summer on Andor’

Attachments

I realised where the lower hull of the Soulcat comes from… nature is so inspiring :stuck_out_tongue:
Also working on a dock for it.

Attachments

Another attempt at making a photoreal world that isn’t Earth, along with a new 3d printed prop for a client and some further work on Soulcat.
All via filmic blender and mostly untouched by PS, aside from some blur on Andor.

Attachments

Manuel Bastioni Lab is just too impressive.

(singlet fitted and imported from MD)

Attachments

DecalMachine is magical and should be worshipped as such.

Attachments

Day 5 of learning Marvelous Designer.
Things proceed as planned - but am annoyed by zbrush and its inexplicable import/export system. But dear gods I can’t live without zremesher. Going to have to learn how to bake stuff now for texturing.

Attachments

Slipstream travel, courtesy of Gleb and Aidy’s SpaceVFX wormhole tutorial bonus content.
Going for an updated Star Trek style slipstream driven effect.
I’ve always wanted to make something that felt a little more ‘Roddenberry’s Andromeda’ than traditional Trek FTL - and well this is what I got.

A quick video with the basics:

Attachments

Furthering my understanding of some of Trek’s VFX via modification of things learnt in Gleb and Aidy’s SpaceVFX.
In this case the stage just before a ship jumps to slipstream - as seen in Voyager a couple of times.

Love your stuff!

Cheers, mate!

Anyone know of any decent rigging tutorials for ships or say planes - things that fly but aren’t animals etc?
I was wondering at how the BSG CG team did the vipers in the re-imagined series, but as yet am unable to find anything useful.

NASA 3D printing file + procedural materials/adaptive-poly.
Close, but I think maybe I need some more grain in the materials, perhaps also make it a little brighter. Dusty. Needs to be Dusty.

Accidentally made a salt lamp. Was meant to be a lump of ice lit by the fading sun.
Handing in my sci-nerd card now…

Attachments

forget zremesher use instant meshes!

Tried it before, wasn’t really the biggest fan.

Trying my hand at photogrammetry.
If this is whats possible with pretty much zero effort…

Attachments

And my first attempts… not so great.

Attachments