Server move -> Downtime this weekend

(Timothy) #1

Hey everyone,

Expect some pretty significant downtime this weekend as we will move elysiun over to our new server saturday.

The server both has a different IP address as a different physical location (moving from U.S. to the Netherlands). This means that a dns change also has to take place, for elysiun.com that will happen tonight (thursday night GMT).
If everything goes right, you shouldn’t notice the dns change itself.

Timothy

(Gabio) #2

If everything goes right

evil grind
You know there is always something that doesn’t go right.

(SamAdam) #3

And more ping lag for us in the U.S.

(bmax) #4

And more ping lag for us in the U.S.[/quote]

And less for us in Europe. Oh, and I did notice the DNS change. There was a short down-time. It was only a minute or two for me, but I don’t know how much into the downtime I was.

(Timothy) #5

Yeps there will most likely be more ping lag for those of you in the U.S. but the connection speed of the new server is faster as is the server itself.

I don’t think you’ll notice much difference.

(nehpets) #6

now i can say that i go to the netherlands everyday !

(Dittohead) #7

Not any different here. Seems to run slightly faster in fact.

EDIT: just trying edit speed…hopefully it’s better…

EDIT2: almost instant…I LOVE YOU TIMOTHY

(Goofster) #8

Ehm, we havn’t switched elysiun to the new server yet, just changed the dns provider…

(Fligh) #9

Rock on! Here we go! Well done guys!

%<

(z3r0 d) #10

expect a longer downtime then? I see

(digital_me) #11

It does seem to take longer though…?

(Goofster) #12

This afternoon we switched elysiun to the new server, so no further downtime is expected (though the DNS switch took a bit longer than we hoped)

Roel

ps. wow, this post was submitted sooo fast :slight_smile:

(digital_me) #13

Wow… this post was soooo slow. :frowning: Why did you guys have to change it?

(Dittohead) #14

Then someone optimized the DB or something because edits usually took about 15-45 seconds.

digital_me: it doesn’t seem any different to me. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s hosted in Europe now. It seems slightly slower to me, but not enough to notice much. I live on the west coast of the US.

And remember, timothy’s doing this for free (with donations) so don’t complain. :wink:

(sten) #15

Good work Timothy and Goofster!

the server responsetime seems quite fast for me here in sweden :slight_smile:

(digital_me) #16

Hmm… I live in Colorado, and I was getting really good speeds yesterday before the switch, but now, posting takes about 10secs, and even loading the front page takes 5 seconds…?

Oh well. :frowning: It’s probably better for those in Europe. But blenderartists will be hosted in the us, right?

(Timothy) #17

This is our new server, so all our sites will be hosted on it.

The server is hosted in Amsterdam very close to the Amsterdam Internet exchange, which is the key routing point in Europe. (infact I believe it is the biggest in the world when it comes to traffic).

Posting should definately not take 5 to 10 seconds, infact the delay should be very minimal. If it did take 5 to 10 seconds it is because of another problem we’d need to sort out.

Timothy

(Alex_G) #18

cool, I slept through the change.

No downtime for me 8)

(Desoto) #19

Congrats on switching over guys! I don’t think its any slower to me. And I’m on the East Coast of the U.S.

(WhiteBoy) #20

Haven’t noticed much difference at all here in Utah. Might be a tad faster.

Any idea when we’ll all be migrated to BlenderArtists.org?