Since I started making an animted short (you might see it around Christmas time), I’ve become interested in distributed rendering, although I don’t understand it. And I want to know if it is possible to set-up one, and if so, will it take a powerful computer, and could someone direct me to a guide/tutorial?
And also, if there is going to be a home rendering network, what would it take to make a home server? My family is willing to give me one of our old P4 computers for this purpose. I would mainly be sharing audio files (I work on soundboards), pictures, old games (works on 32-bit graphic cards), and blend files of course. All our computers have network cards.
I’m rather clueless when it comes to networks, file sharing, and all that. But I know Pentium 4 computers, all our relatives think that we’re the trash dump for P4’s. We in turn, give most of the Pentium 4’s to a local charity that needs it more than we.
So here is the computer list:
- Windows Vista Home 64-bit laptop with Wubi 9.0.4 (my computer) (my computer will be upgraded to Windows 7 when it comes out)
- Windows Vista Home 64-bit desktop
- Windows XP Pro 32-bit with Linux Mint 7 desktop (the possible server) (it can become Linux only if needed.)
- Windows XP Pro 32-bit desktop.
- Windows XP Home 32-bit desktop.
So… Is it possible? And did I leave out any information?