Setting point of view for modeling

How do I change the point of view to match the normal of a selected surface?

Are you saying you want the camera to see what a polygon sees? If that’s what you mean, you can select the polygon and then press Ctrl+0 (on the num pad) to see what the polygon sees.

try the * on numpad.

or fiddle with shift-V in mesh mode … ( i wish you good luck with these … )

Try CtrL-Alt-Numpad 0 to shift camera to view face or try Shift V to change the view alignment.

To view a face along its normal with the camera, in Edit mode First Numpad-* (or Shift-V) then Ctrl-Alt-Numpad 0.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn’t explain myself very well in my query: what I want to do is select a given face from which I can extrude new vertices along the face’s normal, instead of along the x,y,or z axis.
Can I do this? I know it is common in CAD software to be able to move the x/y/z axis direction to suit a particular face you’re working on.

Select ‘local’ in the Transform Orientation box then use the transform widget. (it’s next to the icon shaped like a hand)

Regards,

Terry

Select ‘local’ in the Transform Orientation box then use the transform widget.

Wouldn’t that be Normal orientation for Suncoaster’s needs? I think Local orients the widget to the object’s local axes, rather than the selected face’s.

Yep. That’s right!

Regards,

Terry

Many thanks, guys; that works for me.