Setting up Visual Studio Code - intellisense - Blender API - Symlink

I have Visual Studio Code, and de Blender Development module by Jacques lucke. With that you don’t have yet intellisense for the Blender API, right?

What is the most convenient way nowadays to get intellisense for the Blender API in Visual Studio Code? I see here the Fake bpy Module, but also the Autocomplete modules for Blender python API.

I’ve seen also something about symlink (kind of shortcut?), do we need to use that as well?

update: I got intellisense to work with help from this article:

You have to scroll down a bit where you see the steps for 2.8.

The settings.json (not workspace-settings as article says) look like this:

{
"python.autoComplete.extraPaths": [
    "E:/Downloads3/blender_autocomplete-master/blender_autocomplete-master/2.91"
],
    "terminal.integrated.experimentalLinkProvider": false,
    "python.pythonPath": "E:\\Anaconda\\Installation\\python.exe"
}

Update: the Auto complete worked but partly; when I type bpy.data, is doesn’t autocomplete after that. Most others like bpy.context, bpy.ops etc work.
I will this link instead: https://pypi.org/project/fake-bpy-module-2.91/
Needs to be installed with pip. (Anaconda cmd in my case).

Update: Yes! That worked.
The symlink is optional, but convenient: with that you can have your addon folder on one place, and if you have multiple Blender installations, you make there the symlink that refers to your original forlder (outside of Blender). So if you change your code, you can do that for multiple blender installations.

if you’re using JL’s vscode extension the symlink is handled automatically when you run Blender from VSCode.

1 Like