Settler/migrator from the realm of 3ds max , got a few newb Q's....

Hey Mates , Newb here so mind the Q’s ok :o . Anyways , like the title says , im a migrator from Max , and one of the first thing ive tried to do in Blender , is make some poly Heads and such , try to get the hang of the selection and such . I’ve read the Unofficial guides and such , but there are still a few questions i couldnt find the answers to , and hopefully you of the elite’s will help me solve them :wink: . As follows ;

1. What is the equivalent of ‘Weld Vertices’ in Blender ?? Coz i mulled around , and all i could find was a ‘Merge’ Function . But unlike Max where you would need 2 or more ‘open’ vertices , Blender needs the Vertices to be closed , or have polys around them in order to do the merge . am i doing this right or what ??..Coz im wondering , when i make an obect seperately , like the hand , and delete polys around the wrist region , and then try to do merge , will have i have to go ahead and make polys for them , and such ??..basically for anyone whose used Max , is there some equivalent of Vertice Collapse or Target Weld in here ??:confused:

2. How exactly do i cut Segments into the Faces ?? In max we had ‘Cut’ , but here all i see is something called “loop edge” or something , which is an equivalent of max’s ‘Slice’ . Is there a plain and simple tool for creating segments in faces , irrespective of the vertices you make and all that ??..:confused:

I’m sorry im starting to sound like a Max whore , but i really want to learn this software , and i believe you guys can help . Thanks in Advance .:smiley:

Answer to #1:
Yes, we have merge vertices. Should work as follows; select 2 or more vertices, Press Alt + “M” key, a dialog will come up giving you options on how you want them merged.

Answer to #2:
To cut a face you can either use loopedge options or use the knife tool. It all depends on what you want to do. Each method has it own sets of options.

Well, in order to merge vertices, the vertices need to be part of the same object. If you’ve created a hand as a separate object, before you can attach it to the forearm, you’ve got to make the arm and the hand the same object. In Object mode, select both objects and use 3D Viewport Menu>>Object>>Join Objects, or Ctrl-Jkey.

I’m not really sure what you are talking about when you say “open” and “closed” vertices, but bear with me.

Once the arm and hand are the same object, when you go into edit mode you can select a vertex on the wrist and another vertex on the forearm, then, either press Fkey, which will create an edge between the two vertices, which you can use to make a face, OR, press Alt-Mkey which will give you options to merge the two vertices into a single vertex, still connected to whatever either was connected to before the merge. Which way you chose to do it will depend on where the hand is in relation to the arm. If you’ve got a gap, create new faces to connect the parts. If the hand is butted up against the arm, merge the vertices.

The loop cut tool is handy for creating a lot of cuts (it’s also handy for determining where your loops are…just don’t perform the cut after Blender shows you the purple line through the loop) but for fewer cuts, use the Knife Cut tool. To prepare to Knife Cut, you need to select the edges you want to cut, then press Shift-Kkey. You’ll get a few options, then the cursor will change to a knife tool which you drag across the edges, press Return, and the cuts will be made. Blender will also add edges to adjoining vertices to maintain quad or triangle polys. These added edges may need adjustment. Blender rarely puts them where you want them.

Another way, to get more control over cutting new segments, is to use the XKey Delete function, and delete only faces, leaving the edges. Then select the edges you need new vertices in, and use the WKey menu to subdivide the edges, after which you rebuild the faces as you want them. Faster to do than to describe.

One of the neat, and really frustrating things about Blender, is there are usually several different ways to accomplish what you want to do. Which means the answer to “how do I…” is usually, “it depends on…” and everyone has a favorite workflow. Still, if you approach the software with a problem solving attitude, you’ll usually get what you want.

As to your sounding like a Max whore, yeah, you do. Here’s the thing: a lot of us are using Blender because we are not in the industry and don’t see any point in spending x-thousand bucks on home-use software. Many of us have never used the other guys’ stuff, don’t know their terminology, and can’t translate for you. Now, that’s not true of everyone. There are a number of CG pros working with the commercial stuff for their day jobs, but your best bet is to learn and use the Blender terminology.

Can you get help here? You bet. Welcome to BlenderArtists.

Well , thanks for your suggestion and stuff . I guess im still gonna face problems with blender creating various Tri’s and such while cutting, but hey…gotta compromise . And the advice you told me about Merge really helped , and atleast now i have enough skill to do some decent modelling in peace . :wink: . Thanks again , Cheerio .

Another Question Mates . How exactly do you use the Mirror Modifier ?? I need to know this , since im making a Face and for that reason , i need the fuction of doing half the face, and having teh other half update as an Intance to the part im working on . How exactly do i go about this ?? I tried teh mirror modifier , but what that does is mirror based on the location of the Objects Pivotial centre . Should i shift the centre to the location of where the mirror should centre to or what ?? . Thanks in Advance like before…

Yes, indeed. Otherwise how’s blender supposed to know where to mirror it from?