several meshes per object | blender 2.66+

Hi there!

How can I have multiple meshes within the same object? From what I have gathered, in previous blender versions it was possible by adding a new mesh in edit mode. Whe I try this the newly created mesh won’t show as separate mesh in the outliner. I am working wwith blender 2.66 and have tried it wit 2.69, getting the same results.

I want to use this mainly for swapping gear on character models and for lod control.

Any help and pointing to resources is much appreciated.

From what I have gathered, in previous blender versions it was possible by adding a new mesh in edit mode. Whe I try this the newly created mesh won’t show as separate mesh in the outliner.
You have gathered incorrect understanding. There has been no change in how blender works. If you add a new mesh in object mode it becomes a new object, if you add a new mesh in edit mode it becomes part of the existing mesh. An object doesn’t have multiple meshes.

Huh. I thought I’ve read it somewhere. I hoped I could keep my library blend file somewhat cleaner by limiting the amount of objects in it, but the conventional method will do just as fine then.

Thank you for clarifying!