Several questions from a complete noob:-)

Greetings

First of all, please understand that I am a complete “noob” at this whole 3D modelling/raytracing thing (even though I am absolutely fascinated by it). I’ve played with various 3D tools over the years (even Blender) but it was’nt until just a few days ago that I really decided to get serious about it. I’m currently using Blender v2.35 on my Fedora Core 2 Linux box running the Gnome desktop environment. I’ve read through a number of tutorials (which were excellent) but I still have some questions. Below are a few of the questions I have after spending several days playing around with Blender…

(1#) How do I apply separate colors/images/textures to two different (linked or non-linked) models?
(2#) What can I do about the Blanguages error on start-up?
(3#) Any extra primatives available out there and where can I find them?
(4#) What specific features does TrueSpace have that Blender lacks?
(5#) Where can I download extra Blender3d (v2.35) interface themes?
(6#) How do I delete the initial default scene/model (a box)?
(7#) Where do I put .py files and how do I run them from within Blender?
(8#) I really want to use the YafRay plugin to do beautiful raytraces but all I get are dull, ugly images.
(9#) No matter what I draw, I still end up with bland, dull shapes after rendering.
(10#) Why do certain things I do in Blender cause my Linux machine to log me out?

Any help on these things would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for so many questions. Please don’t feel overwhelmed by them all - even if I could get just a few of them answered, it would help me tremendously and I can always repost the remaining ones later :smiley:

• Regards

Welcome to elYsiun!

well, im not sure that i can answer all of your questions… so:

1. add a new material. there will be a popup menu in the materials window. one of its options will be [ADD NEW] use this option to create a new material for that object.

2. no idea

3. you mean other than the ones in the [spacebar]+[add]->[mesh] menu? if thats what you’re talking about, i dont think so…

4)i haven’t ever used truespace

5)all of my themes come from this site

6)delete the cube and press [Ctrl+u]. it will save the current scene as your user defaults (the scene that automatically opens when you start Blender)

7)in your [.blender] folder (in your [blender] directory) is another folder that is called [scripts] place your scripts here and go to the elYsiun Python section and ask them any questions that you have

8 ) umm… no idea how to help you there. just play around with the settings and look at this tutorial

1. um… can you post an example…?

2. i have a Window$ box… cant help there

i hope that this helps you

~Delta

Very helpfull. I really appreciate it!. Just one thing though…in what folder do the .py theme files go?. I downloaded a few of them to the .blender/scripts/ folder and started Blender up but I did’nt see the new themes in the drop-down menu under "user preferences/themes’. I also tried to change the theme path but they still did’nt appear.

Thank’s again:)

1. This link might help : https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24291&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

2. Big one … physics in animation. Physics is currently included in the Blender Game Engine. Sooner or later, it will be included for animation in standard Blender. There is a script being developed which wraps the physics engine functions (bloded).

3. You delete the box by selecting it with the Right Mouse Button and pressing X and Left Clicking the Erase Selected? prompt.

4. As stated, scripts are usually placed within the scripts subdirectory of the .blender directory. Scripts that have a proper register heading will have their file names loaded when you select Scripts Window (from the television like icon in the header with the up and down arrow keys) -> Scripts -> Update Menus.

If you don’t see the Scripts selection in the header, press the right arrow in the header. This collapses and expands the header menu selection(s). The scripts that have the proper register headings will be located in one of the menu options under Scripts (i.e. mesh, materials, objects, etc). Scripts that are registered to objects can also be selected from any 3D window when in Object Mode by selecting Objects -> Scripts.

Scripts can also be loaded in a Text Window (choose Text Editor from the window mode icon (the television thingy with the double up/down arrows). Select File -> Open then browse to find the script (.py extension) you wish to load. You can then press Alt P to execute the loaded script.

This is about all I can offer for help, other than to suggest you read the online documentation (Help -> Manual from within Blender) and do as many tutorials (video tutorials as well) as you can.

Happy Blendering and welcome :slight_smile:

Again thank’s but when I go to: scripts window>scripts>update menu I get the following…

ERROR: invalid scripts dir. Check console.

I’ve downloaded (via right-click/save link as) one of the theme scripts in a .py format and saved it to .blender/scripts and it still is’nt showing up anywhere. The main reason I want a different theme is because my eyesight is’nt all that good and the words are pretty small on the buttons. To load themes, I usually go to: user preferences>themes and then use the drop-down menu but all I see there now are two choices (rounded and default).

• Regards (I appreciate your help and am anxious to use Blender)

hmm… (please correct me if im wrong)

in order for the menus to update, you actually have to run the script first.

open up the text editor, load the script, press [alt+p] to run it…

then update menus

and save your user defaults [Ctrl+u] after you do that

i hope this helps

(just look at DYeater’s post if you need more detail in how to run the script)

~Delta

The script editor seems to only want to load .blend files. When I tried to load the .py file (the theme) I got a message telling me that it was an unrecognized file type. Hmmm…

You mean you’re a granddad with myopia like me.

You may not find a theme that’s going to help you so here are some tips.
You can increase the size of the buttons in any buttons window with + & - on the Numpad. If your buttons are too big rightclick and choose Horizontal to move them with the scrollwheel. You can make any window fullsize with Ctrl-Uparrow and same to return. To focus on the selected object click . in the numpad. To focus on the 3D cursor click C. Zoom with the mousewheel.

To change things like button colors and text color pull down the header at the top of the screen and go to “Themes” and click “Add” to see the menus where colors can be changed. Give your new theme a name, close it up and Ctrl-U to save it as your default theme.

%<

I just simply place the script in the scripts directory, select Scripts -> Update Menus then go to the respective area (mesh, materials, etc.) and the new script is there … without running it first. That’s the way it works for me :slight_smile:

As usual Fligh %, your answers are concise and to the point. :slight_smile:

Well, I saw that and that is a great feature and it just might come down to that but I really am kind of anxious to use some of the canned themes if at all possible - especially that nice looking bright-orange one I’ve been looking at. As far as using the scripts option to load the theme first, well I tried that and those buttons are just bouncing around all over the place…it’s almost like playing that old 70’s game called “Simon” with all the bright lights popping up at random where you least expect them to be. Very confusing.

This link will get you the black and orange theme. It’s a blend file so just load it up, change what you want then select Ctrl U to save it as your b.blend (default blend file for startup).

You can also just replace your current b.blend file in your .blend directory with this file. :

http://download.blender.org/demo/test/B.blend.zip

Victory at last…whew!!

I went in and changed my paths and then clicked on “update menus” and then all sorts of little goodies started to appear in the menu…including my theme!:slight_smile:

Thank’s again!

Ok, I have one more question…

Well, I’m beginning to make some good progress thank’s to all the help I’ve received here but unfortunately I’m still not having any luck with applying unique textures to individual models. Ok, I have two standard boxes. I’ve applied a texture to them, beveled them, anti-aliased them and ray-traced them. They look “good”. The only problem is that the same texture seems to be automatically applied to both of them but I don’t want the texture applied collectively but rather individually so that the end result is that each box has a different texture/appearance. In other words, I want to select the first box and tell Blender “ok, paint box 1# blue and then paint box 2# red”

GreyGoose you’re a legend for asking those questions. I use Linux Mandrake and suffered from the same problems for a long time. Unfortunately I never thought to ask. I thought I had to live with it.

Delta and DYeater, you guys are Brilliant! LIving LInux Legends! I’m following your instructions and changing my Blender settings. Gee, this is first time ever I got Themes on my Blender! :smiley: And no more Blanguages problem either. You guys made my day!

Greygoose:

I want to select the first box and tell Blender “ok, paint box 1# blue and then paint box 2# red”

From another thread:

1. Textures are assigned to materials so to have 2 textures on different parts of the mesh you need to have two materials. The first material you assign will occupy all the verts of the mesh. In F9, the Links and Materials tab will display this in the Links Inddex box as 1:Mat:1. To add another material index click “New” and the index will change to 2:Mat:2 which means 2 materials indexed and you are viewing index 2. Click the arrow on the left and it will change to 2:Mat:1 which means you are viewing index 1 (the original one).
    In the 3D window Tab into edit mode and select the verts that you want to assign to the second index (2:Mat:2) and click “Assign” which will assign the new material to index 2. If you have given your materials unique colors and good names you can now go to the materials buttons (F5) and click the 2 in the Materials datablock and make it Single user, and change to 1st index and do the same. The name and color will show as you change the index.
    If this is assigned wrong you can go to F5 and from the materials datablock and change the index there, delete the material with X and assign the correct one from the menu (up/down arrows).
    Now you can select which material you want (which area of the mesh) and assign a texture to that and it will only map to verts occupied by that material

%<

You seem to have two topics going with the same subject. Maybe this is a way to get more responses, but I might suggest you link your question to the original thread in the future. Doesn’t bother me, but it might annoy somebody. Just a suggestion. :slight_smile: