Sew lines? how to achieve?

Im in the middle of making a watch and Im pretty much almost done with the main modelling of the watch but I was wondering on how to achieve sew/sow lines. My theory is to use an array and a simple loop style string model and switch it from under and over(if that makes sense) and then on the actual “texture/plane” just sculpt in some indentations from the string. this would work I think but it sounds like it would take FOREVER and I only wanted this to be a day project. is there an easier way to achieve this? example of what I want below

Definitely do it with a texture, normal map should take care of this. You can create it with the normal map plugin in the Gimp.

Yeah i agree just UV unwrap then add in texture.

Here are modelled sewlines as quickly as I could make them. They are made as a mesh on one side and as a curve on the other. If you apply the arrays, you can easily “sculpt” individual parts to your liking.

Sewlines.blend (405 KB)

Here is quickie: just draw gray scale of stitch out (image a), convert it in to Normal map (image b). Apply Normal map texture to object. Then display it properly.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m626/cabby24/Blender%20Pics%202011/stitch.png

@Ridix

how do you draw it in blender ?

any video showing this ?

and i assume this is done with UVeditor here !

thanks
happy 2.5

@ ridix: You don’t need to convert your greyscale image to a normal map. Just add it as a bump map which will achieve the same results.