Shaders vs Materials vs Pointlessness

I was in #blenderchat today and asked quickly what specular shader I should use for a normal car material. I was expecting a reply of “toon” or Cooktorr or whatever.

Basically I was just curious what others used. Instead of that I was greated with a “What? I don’t understand what your asking” by an experienced user of blender. So I repeated “I just want to know what spec shader a person would use for a car paint material.”, “No still don’t understand” came the reply, “Specular” I said, “No the ‘shader’ part” he came back at me.
At this point I remembered a conversation between other people a couple of weeks ago, who were discussing the use of the word “shader”.

I then realised that this respected member of the community didn’t really not understand my query, they were merely giving me the incredibly annoying and pointless geeky treatment of “Whats that? Sorry say it again? I do know what your talking about but your using the incorrect, by my standards, terminology, and therefore I’m going to pretend I don’t know what your talking about until you use the right word”. etc etc.

So anyway I got accused of “trying to be cool” (what the hell) by using the word shader. I thought (maybe wrongly, but thats not entirely the point) that you assign a Material to your mesh, and tweak the Shaders amongst other things to get the right effect. Seeing as the “shaders” are actually in the “shaders” tab, surely I am in my rights to use this term.

Ive only been using blender since January, so maybe I’m missing something here. Anyway to who it may concern please put a stop to that annoying “I know more than you ha ha ha” attitude.

Not sure that’ll happen. It’s a hard urge to fight.

A good way to find material settings you like is to look for great images in the forums and ask the artist for the .blend file.

hehheh.

I’m not respected.

.b

Ive only been using blender since January, so maybe I’m missing something here. Anyway to who it may concern please put a stop to that annoying “I know more than you ha ha ha” attitude.

Hardly fair to ask that here when it’s a blenderchat attitude, don’t you think?

%<

oh, and to be honest, I thought you were actually talking about the whole material. people nowadays seem to always refer to whole material with a word “shader”. it seems to be cool thing to do…

(check out the “organics shader workshop thread” on wip forum )

so ok, I was giving you a hard time, but hey, eventually, I did give you a hint where you can find the info… :slight_smile: did you find it?

.b

ha ha ha ha Basse you big meany

Alltaken

well, this was definatly worth starting a whole thread about :wink:

Well, my actual first question was “what spec shader should I use for a car material” so I thought it was glaringly obvious. Anyway yes thanks for the pointer I did find what I wanted.

btw basse did you vote for “Material” at the top there?

edit: Yes I agree that the organics shader thread is cool.

You probably already got your answer on car paint jobs, but Sonix has a nice car material library for you to download.
It can be found here
Thread is here