Shading Panel Problems

I’ve only just started using Blender, and I’ve been running through Blender: Noob to Pro on wiki, and having some fun with it. However, Blender seems to close down (blender.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience) whenever I use the shading panel.

My computer specifications are as follows:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
2.30 GHz, 960MB of RAM
VIA/S3G DeltaChrome IGP Video Card
…is this a bit low? I did check the manual, but I couldn’t find anything useful. Forgive me if I’m jus being blind and missed it completely.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

usually recommend to put in at least 1 GB for vista alone

then you got Blender which can take up to 1.5 GB

so i would recommend at least 2 GB if not 4 GB because with these dual core you’v got to keep the memory in multiple of 2 !

Salutations

I’m not using Vista, it’s XP. Still not enough RAM though, right? Damn… No easy fix there.

Thanks for the quick reply.

960 MB of ram on an XP machine should be enough to run Blender. I can texture objects on my 256 MB ram XP box with no problem. Is the Texture panel the only place where this happens? Have you tried upgrading your Video card drivers?

It sometimes messes up other places, but not frequently or in any other specific place. I’ll check out the video card drivers and see what happens.

EDIT: Can anyone tell me where I can download the drivers for VIA/S3G DeltaChrome IGP without having to use driveragent.com which I have to pay to use?

bump

Bumping threads isn’t a good idea, but anyway…

I used to have a laptop with in integrated VIA graphics chipset and had nothing but problems with it when it came to anything graphic related (blender, games, etc). It would even create issues that you wouldn’t think were caused by the G.C. As far as downloading the drivers, look on VIA’s site, I got mine from there all the time.

Sorry for bumping =s saves making a new thread about the same thing and yet makes the thread appear on the front page instead of the fifth (i.e. it might get read). I know it looks pointless and annoying, but there are reasons for it if it’s not overused in my opinion. Won’t do it again if you guys don’t like it anyways.

I did look on their own website, but unless I did something wrong, that redirected my to driver agent too. Btw, thanks for the quick response.