Shadow catcher not catching shadow

I posted this as SE but hoped someone here might be able to help also…
I rendered a car with an alpha background and road surface set to shadow catcher which worked fine (top left pic) but when I replace the first car with a different one the shadow catching doesn’t work for some reason(top right). There is a hint of shadow around the car but nothing directly under it. In fact where the shadow should be darkest is solid alpha. As far as I am aware I have the same settings in exactly the same scene for both renderings of the 2 vehicles.

I used white background to show the shadows that exist so the pure white is actually alpha. no shadow catching
The bottom pic shows the shadow working with the ground plane but I can’t work out what is different in the alpha background version for the 2nd car. I have duplicate files and checked and double checked the render set up correctly and as this is something I have done several times before successfully I’m sure I haven’t overlooked anything obvious.

I’m thinking I have either changed a setting somewhere without realizing or less likely,the 2nd car has something different about it. Both cars were freebies from turbosquid and I have used them both with shadow catcher previously.