shakesoda - Sketchbook

Looking at this, I can honestly say I don’t know topology.
you put quite a lot of thought into it and it shows.

I’ve agonized a lot over topology and anatomy in all my recent work. Without a decent understanding of anatomy you can’t really have good topology, and even for non-realistic things one should know the rules before breaking them. I think it’s done a lot for the quality of my work.

Thanks a bunch!

playing around. cheating everything gives some nice results but things break down in a lot of angles here (mostly because my outlines are all meshes and I didn’t completely fill in the hair).

[removed for awfulness]

I also put together some 3d printable cat ears to attach to my headphones - they turned out pretty nice, despite some minor issues with the print I’ll have to fix. booltool is fantastic for this sort of thing.

I love your characters! Especially the cat girl in the thumbnail and those in post #2. Your topology could use a bit of cleaning here and there, but don’t worry about that. It comes with practice. And a bit of freestyle might help the character in post #23

Your work looks clean and well planned. Do you work off 2d concepts?

Thanks a bunch! Those are the ones I’m the most proud of/put most time into, so I’m really glad someone likes them.

Your topology could use a bit of cleaning here and there, but don’t worry about that. It comes with practice.

Any specifics? I usually have trouble with things like jaw lines, at least.

And a bit of freestyle might help the character in post #23

That character needs quite a bit of work still, I think. I just needed something to help get me out of my recent unproductive streak. I don’t really know how to work freestyle other than basic outlines… it’s sorted somewhere after more practice with texturing on my never-ending bucket list. :slight_smile:

Your work looks clean and well planned. Do you work off 2d concepts?

Sometimes I do. I’ve been trying to make it more of a habit this year. I’m not yet at a point with drawing where I can iterate as fast (or nearly as skillfully) as I can modeling. I think since I started drawing my results have improved significantly, though, even if I don’t directly do concepts for everything.

Also, revisiting this character for some practice with clothing and because I love her so much.

I could stand to work on folds, too, I’ve been avoiding them for some time.

I’ve got a few ideas for improvements besides that. I’ll have to see how they work out.

Freestyle is quite easy to get into. I think I’ve had to use only 2 line styles since I started working with freestyle. Although it sometimes forces me to use the compositor, it doesn’t require any complex node noodles. There’s a screenshot of it somewhere in my sketchbook.

As for the topology, it doesn’t matter much if you use a toon shader. The shader will flatten it out and hide any parts that don’t deform well. The face and jaw line in particular could however use some work especially if not using a toon shader. The cheeks, nose and mouth should follow the underlying musculature as closely as possible. For reference, you should look at the makehuman model’s face (I wouldn’t recommend it for the rest of the body :smiley: ).

more practice modeling clothes, something complex this time. still needs more detailing (particularly on the bottom)

note: body is new, hair is borrowed from elsewhere and just a placeholder, so ignore it.

She looks so cute already! Definitely looking forward to more of her ^^
(Nice work thus far, btw!)

i like these renders and the models are awesome question :when you want to animate your character what is the best way to do it ? in my case i print the armature to a cube then i animate but the animation looks gompy because i dont want to have problems with the armature base point so what do you think ?

Thanks!

Thanks! I’m not too sure about animation. I haven’t done too much of that, although I’ve picked up some books on it (the animator’s survival kit) and have experimented. I usually just work on the same models with subsurf turned off.

Did some face modeling and played with the new texture paint tools a bit. Also some very slight freestyle lines. They were needed here, but I really want them to contribute only as much as they have to.

Still need to model new hair, though.

Back to the other model for now! I still can’t come up with a name for her that I like, though…

Decided to play a bit with posing, improved rig and added various details. I think the result is pretty good, minor errors aside (wrists are weird, tail is too rough, etc). Rigging the ears added a lot.

On a side note, a little bit of surface blurring really clears noise up, but I opted to just post the image untouched until I can find the right look. I try not to use filters that I don’t know how to implement in the compositor if it can be helped, force of habit I guess.

I also reworked all the UV maps, but that’s not a visible change since for the most part they’re blank.

minor update and the last one on this model for the time being

mostly made adjustments to her face so her eyes aren’t tilted as much, eyelashes are defined better, eyebrows are lower (where they belong), and the profile is a little better. next one I post will be a new model.

New model. Haven’t either designed or picked a character for the specifics, though, so there’s not too much I can do until I figure that out.

General update. She’s got a face now, similar to the last one I did but with some topology cleanup and proportion changes. First socks in the thread that are below the knee, too (lol)

That said, I’m still kinda directionless from here, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do next. I’ll probably need to bust out the sketchbook.

Trying to come up with an efficient way to model a skirt with knife pleats, I came up with this. It turned out better than I expected it would!

modeled some (meh) hair and fixed a bunch of stuff on the body/face, and borrowed the last outfit just to see.

I’m not especially happy with her like this, but at least with some clothes I can see where to go next.

Loving the progress. Keep it up.

Can you post front,back, and side image like post 36 the proportions seem off to me.