Shape Key and Modifier deformation order?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way of choosing in which order the modifiers and shape keys could go for a mesh.

For example, I might have a simple mesh with a shape key and then I add a shrinkwrap modifier so that it wraps around a different mesh. But the shrinkwrap modifier seems to over-rule the shape keys. In this case I would like to have the shrinkwrap work first and then have the shape keys deform afterwards.

Is there any way to make it work this way?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

That is not possible as is. The shapekeys happen before all deformations. Depending on what you are trying to do you can hack a solution with geometry nodes modifier.

1 Like

Ah, well that sucks. Not really a big fan of nodes but if you have any ideas how to set this up or if you could provide a link then that would be awesome nonetheless.

If not then that’s OK, too. I’m sure that maybe someone else might have the node setup I should be using.

I appreciate your feedback, kkar.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

I actually wanted this so badly long time ago that I ended up writing a morph modifier patch. It was never included in the trunk, it could have solved these issues since a morph modifier could have been placed in any order in the modifier stack.

You can use the transfer attribute node in geo nodes to hack a shape transfer process. There could be other ways to achieve it now but I think the geo nodes is the most straight forward way.

Thank for that info. I’m not sure if the patch would work for me since I use Linux. I will have to look into using the geo node fix you suggested. I kind of want to avoid using nodes as much as I can for most things but I suppose I gotta do what I gotta do if I actually want the results I want.

Maybe you should have suggested to the Blender Dev team to add a Shape Key Modifier that would allow changing the order of deformations?

I have a few of my own ideas for modifiers and changes to modifiers but I doubt anyone would care about them.

Thanks again for that info.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

PS: Oh, and Merry holidays!

They were not interested in turning it into a modifier, that was why I made my own patch, and they were not interested in that either. Basically I did my best back then to have a workable solution for this particular use case.

1 Like