Share animations between files?

I made a lip sync animation in one file where it is the only animation. I want to import that motion into a different file so I don’t need to make it again. Is there any way to do this? If so, can I load the motion onto a different model with the same bone structure, or do I have to use the same model as the original?

Hmm… that is a good question. I’ve never tried that myself, but there is a video I came across where you can transfer animation “actions” from one model to another. The video I came across is called “Blender Tutorial - Creating and Editing Actions for Re-use in Animations and Games”. The only thing is, this guy has two characters with similar topography shapes. Also, I don’t know if this works with lip syncing.

There is another youtube video I came across called “reusing animations in Blender” and this person used 3 wolves, so I don’t know if that would work.

Oh yeah, I did try and use shape keys for face movement and I broke it because I added new topology to one of my characters meshes. So if you are using shape keys, make sure you make then last. Fortunately, I didn’t lose a lot of work since I made 2 shape key, one for blinking, one as basis.