I remember having a hard time to figure out how to get a smooth workflow to dev my first scripts & addons, so maybe people can share how they have setup their workflow and softwares to be comfortable when coding?
Here is my setup:
- I use Github for my source code management, and Github Desktop to get a git UI. I also use the Github wiki functionality to write and maintain my user documentation.
- I have setup a portable version of Blender dedicated to development (theme, startup file, etc)
- I open my Github addon folder into Visual Studio Code
- Using this very wonderful VS Code extension named Blender Development, I just have to launch
Blender Startcommand (F1 > type
Blen> arrow keys if needed > Enter) to launch my Blender-dev with my addon loaded, and also have the ability to read Blender console right into VS Code
- Every time I want to see my script modifications into Blender, all I need is to ask for
Blender Reload Addonsinto VS Code
- and voilà, I can now commit my modifications to Github, using Github Desktop (no need to write git command)