Shatter glass animation how to

I interested in creating creating shatter wine glass by a bullet animation sequence could some one guide me thru the process of creating break up objects animation. I think this is a universal technique that can apply to other object too such as exploding building crumble to pieces or car crashing into crumble wall.

Thanks

There was a testing build built on October 10 that included the Explode modifier. Search around for it.

Thank

I have check out http://users.utu.fi/jhkarh/prog/bs_explode.html

It appear to do the job I have play with it but it lack the solid feel to the mesh since it just exploded the mesh surface not solid. I am looking for more convincing explosion.

since blender doesn’t model in solids, you may have a lot of hand exploding to do. Another technique I’ve seen is to split a mesh (with Ykey) and use softbody (turn up stiffness) with a wind effect. Wind force can be animated.

i read that theres an option now for particles to view the unborn particles. i havnt tried it out(having too much fun with the armatures), but you might want to look into that…

since blender doesn’t model in solids, you may have a lot of hand exploding to do. Another technique I’ve seen is to split a mesh (with Ykey) and use softbody (turn up stiffness) with a wind effect. Wind force can be animated.

Is that how it was done? I saw a very convincing shatter on the “New feature test” topic back when softbodies were new. Apparently it used softbodies.

It is a shame that the explode modifier didn’t make its way into the official release. Then again, as already stated it doesn’t result in convincing solids.

I suggest someone tries this softbody technique. I know I will!

Koba

Pity this thread seems to be dead - I think I’ve come up with a super cool way to shatter glass with visible crack propagation!

I’m thinking of doing a slowmo animation of a bullet hitting a wine glass (with wine inside!). Here is how it works.

Remember how we said that blender doesn’t model in solids? Well, it can do - using the new boolean modifiers. You can use the boolean modifier to shatter an object with real geometry for the pieces, then you can “seperate all loose parts”. Now we have loads of fragments, we can apply the physics engine and bake the animation to IPOs. This was brought up recently - I think it is possible to assign physical properties to the pieces en mass.

Now for the cool bit - if we have a transparent glass and we have split it up into real geometry pieces, the internal faces will show up on rendering as ugly cracks even before shattering. Here is my solution:

After the boolean operation when the whole thing is still one object, using the new build in the CVS, select all the linked flat faces on the surface. Now invert the selection to get the internal faces which are a pain. Assign a new material index to them.

Now the thing I discovered for myself - the material indices are correcly retained across all the objects after splitting. Now for my final inspiration, apply a blend texture as an alpha channel using “object” coordinates with respect to an animated empty. As the animated empty approaches the point of fracture, the cracks begin to propagate outwards.

Finally, with the new animated obstacles in the CVS, you could fill the glass with wine and simulate - now we have collision between the glass pieces and between the glass and fluid. And everything is real geometry.

What do you think?

Koba

oooooo… i like…wish I had more time to experiment!
I did try the softbody explosion a few times, but I didn’t have it stiff enough and it looked like slime exploding (like in sci-fi movie and an alien gets hit by a high calibre bullet…)

Whoa, sounds complicated - do it!

This is getting interesting. I’m going to put down some notes here for my benefit as well as yours on how to make the ultimate shatter animation for glass objects.

-Take you mesh and duplicate it to save it. Take one instance and subdivide it multi fractal.

• Subsurf it once and apply the subsurf. The mesh will now be completely quads. They denote the shape of the crystal fragments.

-Bevel this mesh as little as possible and scale it down so it is just inside the interior of your glass/recepticle. Now select all the large quads left (not the tiny quads seperating the crystals) and seperate them as you go along.

-You should now have a load of very close but seperate 2D crystal facets taking the shap of your mesh. Select one face on each facet then select linked flat surface (CVS). Extrude faces.

-Finally intersect these “crystal rods” with your original mesh to get a fragmented mesh.

My final idea is to have an intact unfragmented glass which fades out as the empty approaches in the same way that the internal edges fade in.

The other thing I am worried about is the physics simulation being stable enough for the fragments to stay together provided there are no forces on them.

Koba

Now select all the large quads left (not the tiny quads seperating the crystals) and seperate them as you go along.

You mean separate them one at a time?

Might have to move/start a new WIP thread!

Now select all the large quads left (not the tiny quads seperating the crystals) and seperate them as you go along.

Not actually necessary. You can shift select and do them together. However, this is the most tedious bit so seperating as you go along provides a safety net if you make a mistake.

Koba

P.S> I’m having trouble with the physics. Sumo seems best but I need someone to remind me how to make a deflecting ground plane that doesn’t move under gravity itself. How do I make the pieces bounce off the floor?

I remember always having problems with this myself. Have you made it an actor and changed both its restitution and the objects’s restitution to something non-zero?

i’ve never used the GE

Make sure the ground plane does not have Dynamic activated in the game settings panel.

Thank for your suggestions everyone - I’m afraid I’ve had no luck though. I have no idea why the simulation is so erratic. Perhaps someone could post a .blend file to show me how it is done?

Koba

http://www.geocities.com/dsch57035/blender/GEtest.blend.zip
I tried and got this to work (using 2.40, compressed file type, sumo GE).
Sphere is a rigid body actor, no GE settings on the two planes. Hit P to run.

Thankyou for all response, while on the topic I came this feature in MAX 3D its call shell modifier which allow you to add thickness to the object and when explode it added that solid feel to the scene. Ultimately I think this is what we need in Blender. Anyone care to explore the script to do this?

Thats for the .blend.

It has helped but I still find the physics engine rather unstable and erratic if you use several colliding objects in free fall…

I’ll keep trying…

Koba

I think I have found what I am looking for! Following my recent question on shatter glass techniques I came across blastcode for maya. Blender definitely need this plugin clone!! - Has this been made by blender community?

http://www.deathfall.com/feature.php?op=showcontent&id=39